Thread: Stripped coolant hole threads - LS7 head

Advanced Tuner

Stripped coolant hole threads - LS7 head

What is the best fix for stripped coolant hole threads? My initial thought was helicoil but i got to thinking about the tang on the helicoil needing to be removed and also whether or not it will leak around the helicoil. Going to try to fix without having to drill the hole bigger, so, I'm looking at purchasing a thread chaser in hopes that it will help. Other than that, i'm all ears for a solution. What have you had success with in this type situation where this is a through hole? Thanks in advance.

Advanced Tuner
    Thread chaser wont help if you dont have any meat left.

Advanced Tuner
    I would drill and tap up a size.

Advanced Tuner
    Good point. I'm thinking that may be the only option unfortunately. Thanks.

Senior Tuner
    Take it to a machine shop. Many temp sensor holes are tapered threads.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LS ROB View Post
    What is the best fix for stripped coolant hole threads? My initial thought was helicoil but i got to thinking about the tang on the helicoil needing to be removed and also whether or not it will leak around the helicoil. Going to try to fix without having to drill the hole bigger, so, I'm looking at purchasing a thread chaser in hopes that it will help. Other than that, i'm all ears for a solution. What have you had success with in this type situation where this is a through hole? Thanks in advance.
    Consider taking that port to the next size up with drill and tap and move the coolant temp sensor to the other side.

Sure it's the head stripped out and not the sensor?
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Consider taking that port to the next size up with drill and tap and move the coolant temp sensor to the other side.

Sure it's the head stripped out and not the sensor?
    Hey Alvin, I'm pretty certain it is the head. I have the OE coolant sensor in driver side head and the one for my Dakota Digital guages in the passenger side. I initially felt some give when I tightened down the Dakota Digital adapter bushing per their instructions but it didn't leak until recently. I got to fiddling with it and it fell out in my hand with coolant going everywhere. Luckily, it wasn't hot. The DD bushing snapped clean into two pieces and i effortlessly used a flat screwdriver to start backing it out of the head before using my fingers. Reordered 12x1.5 bushing and researched it a bit and found out many have issues with this. Tried to snug it up but I'm pretty sure I felt it slip some. I feel like its not tight enough to prevent leakage and am afraid to try to tighten any further but i know it has to be done. I'll have to research what the next size up would be. I appreciate the info.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Take it to a machine shop. Many temp sensor holes are tapered threads.
    Hoping I don't have to pop the head off unless absolutely necessary.

Advanced Tuner
    Good news so far, no leakage and didnt need to tap the head. Apparently, these fittings are super weak and will not tolerate very much torque at all.