Thread: 6L80E Controller not Detected

Tuner in Training

6L80E Controller not Detected

I'm working on my Camaro with an LV3/6L80E swap, and all of a sudden I got a "Transmission Range Malfunction" message. There are curently no DTC's aside form a couple of normal ones related to it being a swap. I must preface this with the fact that I've been driving this for a while with no issues, until today when it decided it didn't want to detect my T43 Techm. I've checked for 12 V at the transmission connector and we're good there. I can flash to this Techm, but when I try to Scan, none of the PIDS are valid, and it won't validate them because it says it doesn't detect the controller.
    I have to admit I'm using EFI Live, but unfortunately the forum is almost dead so there's not much help, and I'm supposed to be leaving for Drage Week on Saturday, so I'm in a bit of a pickle. Any help or troubleshooting direction would be much appreciated.

Tuner in Training
    Well it appears as though I found the issue, although the fix is a little surprising. Because of the original "Range Malfunction" message, I figured I'd look into the IMS (mode switch) to see if there might be an issue with it. I checked for continuity in the switch connector with the selector at various positions and found the readings inconsistent. I pulled the switch and opened it up to clean it. The stainless strips inside were a little dirty so I took a swab and some electrical parts cleaner to it and cleaned up the strips. To my surprise the readings were way better afterwards, so i reinstalled it and lo and behold, the scanner connected and read the mode switch. Everything looks good now, and i have my throttle back, since the lack of comms killed the ETC previously.