Thread: '05 Cadillac CTS-V LS6 Current Tune Opinions?

Tuner in Training

'05 Cadillac CTS-V LS6 Current Tune Opinions?

It's been a little bit since my last post. I managed to get my tune to an even better state than before, adding fuel. The MAF curve has needed alot of increments since I first started this tune. VE is pretty decent in its current state. Lately I've been WOT tuning. What impresses me is tonight I managed to produce 410 lb/ft torque at 4400RPM on the scanner. It's been consistently hitting around the 400 mark and slightly above when PE kicks in and I haven't even gotten past 5200RPM yet during any log session. This is a relatively stock LS6 motor with longtubes and a catless 3" exhaust (chambered mufflers). Haven't really messed with timing. All I've done was smooth out the stock table. I've had a bit of knock a few times, so I would add a little bit of fuel to the MAF curve each session I receive some. Now there's hardly any knock up to 5200RPM and managed to get the torque at its highest yet. The car feels AWESOME! Pretty nice transitions during normal driving. Hardly any hiccups.

Opinions on this? Would I expect to see pretty solid numbers on a dyno even though it's just a vague calculation of what the engine is putting out rather than the wheels? I've got a dyno session planned for the end of the month.

FullTuneLog11.4.23.hpl ViciousFullTune(EnhancedPE)(SmoothedTiming)10.15.23.hpt
    Last edited by BuiltLifestyl3; 11-04-2023 at 10:24 PM.

Senior Tuner
    You could avoid the dyno entirely if you do MAF and VE correctly. You don't just add fuel. It should be based on fuel trims. MAF shouldn't take more than 3-5 runs to dial in, and when you're finished it'll be a continuous smooth curve. VE needs done up top.

If you get less knock with more fuel you should be correcting the fueling in PE instead.

You shouldn't need to touch spark on a stock engine even with your exhaust mods.

Tuner in Training
    I meant to clarify it's just a baseline dyno session (pulls) planned to see some power numbers.

I've been adding fuel because before I started tuning, everything was very lean. This has done me alot of good. The VE table up top seems to be pretty high as it is. I don't see how much more it would require.

In what manner should I be correcting the PE?

Advanced Tuner
    PE needs to be logged with a WB to make sure youre hitting the AFR you have set. generally anywhere from 12.2-12.8 AFR in power enrichment is in the ballpark. Usually on a stock trim NA car i just run 1.17FAR for PE settings and call it good, unless of course there is knock or other issues that need adressed. SiriusC1024 is right, VE and MAF should be altered based on Fuel trims or wideband logging. That way itll be changes based on what its needing according to the O2 sensors.
    "I don't care how it runs as long as it chop chops at idle"

Senior Tuner
    See, wideband fuel trims look pretty reasonable in most areas. Narrowbands using the fuel trim algorithms show a more accurate picture. You're too rich on the low end.

nb wb comparison.png

Those are the result of the dynamic airflow calculations, not entirely VE or MAF, but the point is the difference.

Tuner in Training
    It has been set to 1.17 after cruising RPM, which is about 2500 for me. So with that, I can see the wideband make its way down to the 13s, then to around 12.5 AFR and stay around there until I let off. MAF and VE changes have definitely been influenced by fuel trims recently. That's mainly how I got them to stop showing lean. Now it's just been about fine tuning.

When I log WOT with the wideband, I'm looking at the MAF and VE Error graphs and Spark Retard. I'm saying that as of right now, the car feels great. So that tells me I'm not far off from where things should be.

Senior Tuner
    No, you're not far off at all. Pretty decent tune overall. Just take the time to make it better. I'm here to help you do that if you need me to.

Tuner in Training
    Yes. Gonna continue to fine tune it until dyno day comes around. I take the time on the weekends. Couple hours at a time. I know I can get it there.