Thread: LT5 GMPP Crate Engine Tune Questions

LT5 GMPP Crate Engine Tune Questions

My friend has installed a LT5 crate engine into a class 7 truck. He has a manual valve body 4L80 mated to it with no VSS. It wouldn't accelerate over 3200 RPM. I have that figured out; however, it is trending lean over 5000 RPM's. It has a custom accessory drive with a 5% overdrive balancer pulley and long tube headers. The belt is slipping over 5400RPM, and we discovered some oil and coolant leaks. So, I had to stop for the time being.
    My questions are:
    How do I get this to add fuel? I added 5% to both MAF 1 and MAF 2, but neither seemed to add any according to my wideband. Also, there is no VVE. It looks like GM has set the Dynamic to 8000 like I would do when failing the MAF and tuning speed density, However I cannot seem to find a VE table to edit. I only had the one pull after trying to add fuel, so I don't have any concrete evidence it didn't actually add fuel as I only did a 1st gear pull (I know, not the best for data) and the log showed still .88 to .90 lambda when commanded is .85. Is this the correct area to add fuel? Is there a VVE table I am overlooking? Is it done with the FCM? (I licensed it, however I did come across a post from HPT that the GMPP Crate Engine LT5 FCM is not supported, so I'm not sure if I just wasted those credits)
    Is it possible to get this to use calculated VSS (ECM 20218)? If so, could someone explain the NV ratio and how to go about setting that up? I haven't driven it past 1st gear yet, but I suspect the Driver Demand table will need to see some kind of VSS (hopefully a calculated number can work) to drive properly.
    Has anyone successfully added an E85 sensor to this GMPP controller? If so, what pin and settings worked. I'm guessing the PI injectors will also need to be upgraded, can anyone confirm?

Hopefully someone on here can share some info.
    I'm new to the LT5 so any info shared, I would appreciate.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuning Addict
    As I understand it the MAF curve in these is grams per cylinder airmass or something like that. Also what editor version are you using. The VVE table is under the edit tab like normal?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    As I understand it the MAF curve in these is grams per cylinder airmass or something like that. Also what editor version are you using. The VVE table is under the edit tab like normal?
    I'm using an older version of HPT, was tuning a 2020 with some missing components *caugh.
    My other laptop has the latest as well as the latest beta...when it returns, should I just read it with the new software? If so, that's pretty easy. Out of curiosity, can you see the VVE under edit on my file?

Could you elaborate on the grams per cylinder airmass? Is this simply the number multiplied by the number of cylinders to represent the "normal" grams? And if so, should I just treat it the same with creating a chart and making normal changes by percentages?

Tuning Addict
    Yes the VVE is in there. Don't have a clue on the rest. Haven't messed with one of these yet. There was a thread about a month ago where Dave said what the scaling was if you can find that. Think it was someone wanting a stock zr1 read.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Well you were correct on the software version not displaying VVE. For anyone else reading this make sure you have something newer than 4.10.5 for sure.

Is this the thread you were referencing?
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...libration-file

I see where Dave stated it is an airmass reading and not airflow. But nothing else. Is there any other threads or resources you would recommend?
    I am also curious on how to properly modify and control the port injection, so if anyone reading this has some info, I would appreciate it.

On a side note, I compared the GMPP file I read with the FICM to the one in that thread that's supposed to be a stock read with FICM and I am not seeing any other tables missing from my read. So maybe I can modify this FICM. That would be nice, as I am sure injectors will be needed to run full E.

Here is the only info I found from HPT and it is from 2019

2019 LT5 Crate Engine support now available

HP Tuners presents support for the 2019 LT5 Crate Engine.

Calibration includes ECM control only and will require our MPVI2 along with our latest BETA software.
    Licensing cost is 6 credits and an internet connection is required when writing.

Notes:
    1. This ECM is not transferable to the ZR1 or other E99 vehicles, it is only applicable to the LT5 Crate Engine ECM.
    2. No mod or unlock is required to license the LT5 E99 ECM thus can be licensed via the OBD2 port.
    3. We do not support the FCM which comes as part of the LT5 Crate Engine package, however most fueling is controlled via the E99 ECM.

Click here to purchase an MPVI2
    Click here to download the latest version of our VCM Suite software
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuning Addict
    If it's indeed airflow per cylinder could you not just make a custom math something like this - (airflow g/s x fuel trim or eq error) / number of cylinders then plug your new numbers straight into the cal?

Just a thought.

Then as far as the port injection goes, I was pretty sure those only came into play for cat overtemp, cat lightoff or fpcm over heating/stressing which I would assume would be something like track use. Looking at the port injector sizing in the cal it doesn't look like they would be used much of anywhere else? Seem to recall someone mentioning that when these first came out.

~Greg Huggins~

It's going to be a few weeks before I get the play with this some more. The owner wants to confirm his current fuel pumps are PWM capable and I guess the belt routing/belt length issue is taking longer to sort out than he thought.

I was thinking the same with the custom math; just wasn't sure if someone who has dealt with this already would shine some light on the matter, whether it can be as simple as percent error of the narrow bands or my wideband or taking that error to the airmass reading with hpt and then calculate per cylinder number needed in the cal to correct the fueling error. Guess I'll have to see what happens if nobody else chimes in.

As far as all my research has found, your recollection of the use of the port injection seems correct. My thoughts if he does want to run E85, I could use the port injection to supply the needed fuel. This is an off-highway competition vehicle, so there are no cats and I wouldn't need the cat protection active. Question is how to control the port injection to supplement the fuel. I don't see a specific table allowing the control of metering the fuel of the port injection. I see ECM 23390 seems to be where I could activate the port injection, or possibly ECM 29805? Or a combination of both. I'm sure someone has already done this, hopefully they would share some info, or at least provide a hint in the correct direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images