Thread: Tuning for Headers

Tuner in Training

Tuning for Headers

I just installed my Pacesetter LT. The truck needs a tune so what should I start "adjusting"? I'm a newbie and learn from other people giving me the basic info I need and run with it.

Thanks
    99 RCSB Chevy 5.3
    00 ECSB GMC 5.3

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_silverado
    I just installed my Pacesetter LT. The truck needs a tune so what should I start "adjusting"? I'm a newbie and learn from other people giving me the basic info I need and run with it.

Thanks
    Buy an LM-1 Wideband ($350 or so), set up to read a/f ratio and monitor with LM-1 or Datalogger on HP software/hardware and then adjust accordingly. LM-1 will data log also.

Quote Originally Posted by anymanusa
    Buy an LM-1 Wideband ($350 or so), set up to read a/f ratio and monitor with LM-1 or Datalogger on HP software/hardware and then adjust accordingly. LM-1 will data log also.
    exactly. Tuning is tuning, no matter what part you get. Follow the write ups and the other threads on here that go through it.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    brother loaded a tune...truck has more balls then ever. So I'll ask him what he did to it. I know he played with the a/f ratio and torqe managment.

Thanks
    99 RCSB Chevy 5.3
    00 ECSB GMC 5.3

brother loaded a tune...truck has more balls then ever. So I'll ask him what he did to it. I know he played with the a/f ratio and torqe managment.

Thanks
    Just disabling the torque management will give it "more balls than ever". That doesn't mean the tune is right. You still need to get a wideband to do it correctly. You can get a good wideband for < $200. Check out the PLX brand.
    2005 C-6

Specs:

- '05 Z51 'vette 'vert
    - Z06 ass end
    - MN6
    - forged, stroked to a 404
    - Procharger D1SC @ ~16 psi
    - 235/242 614/624 115 lsa
    - 83# Seimens injectors (with proper Banish info)
    - 2.5 bar OS w/2.5 bar MAP
    - twin walbros
    - Kooks, 3", Corsa
    - Meth

exactly, its not smart to blindly change fuel, each car is different.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training

Thanks
    The headers will increase your air flow, so start with your VE table and take in from there...

Tuner in Training
    This is my truck he's talking about. The only changes I made were turning on the e-fans, disabling the rear o2 sensors, and changing the shift times a bit.

I just bought a plx wideband, and am waiting on its arrival. When you say modify the VE table, is this how I should do it?

1. Disable the MAF by set the fail frequecy to 0
    2. Disable DTC codes P0101, P0102, P0103 by un-checking them under the Engine DTC button.
    3. Let my truck warm up a bit, then using the scanner, reset my fuel trims
    4. Open the histogram for VE LTFT %, tab 3 under default config.
    5. Drive around for 20-30 minutes, trying to hit as many cells as possible.
    6. Copy the data from the histogram, and paste it over my VE table in editor. Add these values. Then smooth the
    7. Reset fuel trims and repeat this a few times.
    8. Enable my MAF and codes.

After I add the data from the histogram, do I reload the tune back to my vcm each time, trying to get the scan histogram cells to zero?

for me personally...for just headers its not worth running around to tune...just do your tuning from logs driving to and from work and the store and other places...dont go out of your way just to waste fuel to tune...
    -Scott -

I dont see a point in doing anything with the code. Its just a convience so you dont see the SES light. Also, you dont disable them, but set them to no MIL light. You have to throw the code to be put into speed density.

Quote Originally Posted by Country Boy
    I dont see a point in doing anything with the code. Its just a convience so you dont see the SES light. Also, you dont disable them, but set them to no MIL light. You have to throw the code to be put into speed density.
    there are other ways to get into SD....that dont set an SES
    look at your dynamic airflow tab..

good for those californians wanting to be in SD all the time
    -Scott -