Thread: 0º timing during gear changes

0º timing during gear changes

Any way to keep timing in this thing on gear changes or no? Thought that was kind of odd and cause for some "soft" shifting. 99 Grand Am 3.4
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    lol its called Torque management Mike...geez...newb.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

haha thanks Bill

All the cars I do are 6 speeds (except for a stray few) and everyone with A4's want TM deleted so I never saw it haha
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    well what the heck did you think tq managment did? hehe it manages tq by not creating any hehe

this is true, I just wasnt thinking to look there lol

torque management can be a good thing..
    the key is to remove just enough so it doesnt hurt performance noticably but leave enough of it in to cushion the blow to thr tranny...
    if you remove it completely be sure the tranny is built(not a stall...a built tranny) to handle it...and get a waiver signed from anybody that you do it for...

stock trannys just dont hold up great with TQ management removed completely
    -Scott -

Yeah I am leaving this alone, its my moms and she didnt want me messing with the car in the first place, but I couldnt resist haha

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    torque management can be a good thing..
    the key is to remove just enough so it doesnt hurt performance noticably but leave enough of it in to cushion the blow to thr tranny...
    if you remove it completely be sure the tranny is built(not a stall...a built tranny) to handle it...and get a waiver signed from anybody that you do it for...

stock trannys just dont hold up great with TQ management removed completely
    Amen to this. Mine is going out at 70k miles already. Going to be getting a built one to replace it.

After reading the title to this thread it brings up an interesting question of mine. I was tuning a car a few weeks ago, it was a 97 grand prix gt with a supercharged engine top end swap, still the NA pcm setup because a 97 GT used a different trans than a GTP and the pcms wont easily swap. I have tuned a handful of cars like this with no issues, but this particular car started pulling timing on the shifts at WOT. I tried turning TM down and even off all together and it made no change at all, still pulls timing during a full throttle shift. Watching this on the chart of the scanner it really looks more like the timing falls down right when the shift is completed and the rpms are at the lowest point of the next gear, not during the shift itself unless there is just a short delay in responce. I went over the tune many times looking for something and didnt see anything that seemed off. This was brought to my attention after tuning the car for a new cam install but the customer told me it had started doing this a few weeks prior. The pcm is still using the stock 1 bar map sensor and again this supposedly happened out of the blue a few weeks before I got the car. Any suggestions? I will have a chance to do some tuning on the car this coming weekend and it would be nice to eliminate this problem. The trans is built up good too, its not stock and has great shift feel and turning TM down or off seemed to have no bearing on making it feel soft.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    post the hpt & hpl files of the vehicle so we can look it over.

The file probably has some unknown problems, when I got the car the first time to tune and fix a few things a long while back someone else already had a "custom" tune on it trying to use a gtp map sensor and altered a lot of tables and I had no stock 97 GT file to fall back on. If anyone has a stock 97 grand prix GT file with a L36 engine it would be nice to view to see what has been done to this file.

Try these changes, what is the rpm when the timing retards. The stock spark limiter was 6700 rpm.

Russ Kemp

The shifts are right around 6200 from 1-2 and 2-3 IIRC, whichever it was it was well withing 0-100 rpm of desired shift rpms, I played with shift mph also and didnt change. I moved spark limiter to 7K and it made no change, the later grand prixs are at 7K rpm on a stock but since it made no change I put it back as this engine "should" never see an rpm that high.
    Also it seems that the timing drop is immediately after the rpm drops into the next gear, not during the shift but maybe that is just how it appears on the chart