Thread: Anyone adjust their EOIT for TSP Low Lift truck cam?

Tuner

Anyone adjust their EOIT for TSP Low Lift truck cam?

Has anyone adjusted the EOIT for a Texas Speed Stage 2 Low Lift truck cam? Any suggestions on where it should be? I watched Cringers video and have played with the EOIT assistant, but it is still not clear to me what (if any) changes should be made.

Below are the cam specs, fairly mild. Engine is a 5.3 Gen IV with E38, mid-length headers (no cats), TBSS intake and 39 lb injectors.

Intake Exhaust
    Lobe Lift 0.324" 0.324"
    Intended Rocker Ratio 1.70 1.70
    Lash Hydraulic Hydraulic
    Gross Valve Lift 0.550" 0.550"
    Duration @ 0.006" 265 271
    Duration @ 0.050" 212 218
    Lobe Separation Angle 112
    Overlap in Crank Degrees -9

The Following Data Points Are For This Cam Installed At:
    Intake Center Line 110.0 ATDC
    Opening Point @ 0.050" 4.2 ATDC 42.8 BBDC
    Closing Point @ 0.050" 35.8 ABDC 5.2 BTDC
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Loose_Screws View Post
    Has anyone adjusted the EOIT for a Texas Speed Stage 2 Low Lift truck cam? Any suggestions on where it should be? I watched Cringers video and have played with the EOIT assistant, but it is still not clear to me what (if any) changes should be made.

Below are the cam specs, fairly mild. Engine is a 5.3 Gen IV with E38, mid-length headers (no cats), TBSS intake and 39 lb injectors.

Intake Exhaust
    Lobe Lift 0.324" 0.324"
    Intended Rocker Ratio 1.70 1.70
    Lash Hydraulic Hydraulic
    Gross Valve Lift 0.550" 0.550"
    Duration @ 0.006" 265 271
    Duration @ 0.050" 212 218
    Lobe Separation Angle 112
    Overlap in Crank Degrees -9

The Following Data Points Are For This Cam Installed At:
    Intake Center Line 110.0 ATDC
    Opening Point @ 0.050" 4.2 ATDC 42.8 BBDC
    Closing Point @ 0.050" 35.8 ABDC 5.2 BTDC
    I used those specs to plug into this online cam calc. It will rough GUESS the .050" valve events. Again, I can't stress this enough, it is a start but you will need to go from here to fine tune everything.

Then I used those .050" specs and plugged into my spreadsheet calculator to assume a 50* ramp ramp on the lobes to determine the .006" valve events (again, a guess upon another guess).

Then I plugged those .006" numbers into my EOIT tool. I set this up as I would. It is my methodology, it works well for me, others may do differently. You can certainly experiment.

I have disabled Make Up mode as I have found that does not work well with big cams.

Flash this tune. First thing will be to adjust [ECM] 13337 - Normal EOI Target Adder vs. ECT
    I have started you at 133*. So at idle it will spray at 480 - 133 = 347. Overlap ends at 354, so that gives you a 7 degree head start.
    You will need to raise (advance) and lower (retard) the idle SOI to find the best fuel trims and least raw fuel smell.

Once you have done that you can experiment with the mid-RPM advance of SOI (as indicated by the pink arrows and lines in the screen shot). Do this by adjust the [ECM] 13338 - Normal EOI Target vs. RPM table. If you hear a popping sound then you are coming in too aggressively. You will need to control at what RPM's you start advancing SOI (right now it is at 2176 rpm) and how quickly you advance it.

You also need to log your IPW and plug that along with your injector data into my tool. For mid-RPM work I like to line up the end of IPW to PPV (or just a little before PPV).

Online calc
    Spreadsheet calc
    Mid RPM transition aggressiveness (pink line)
    Mid RPM alignment of end of IPW and PPV (blue line)
    Starting tune
    A standard approach will give you standard results.

My Tuning Software:

VVE Assistant [update for v1.5]
    MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    I used those specs to plug into this online cam calc. It will rough GUESS the .050" valve events. Again, I can't stress this enough, it is a start but you will need to go from here to fine tune everything.

Then I used those .050" specs and plugged into my spreadsheet calculator to assume a 50* ramp ramp on the lobes to determine the .006" valve events (again, a guess upon another guess).

Then I plugged those .006" numbers into my EOIT tool. I set this up as I would. It is my methodology, it works well for me, others may do differently. You can certainly experiment.

I have disabled Make Up mode as I have found that does not work well with big cams.

Flash this tune. First thing will be to adjust [ECM] 13337 - Normal EOI Target Adder vs. ECT
    I have started you at 133*. So at idle it will spray at 480 - 133 = 347. Overlap ends at 354, so that gives you a 7 degree head start.
    You will need to raise (advance) and lower (retard) the idle SOI to find the best fuel trims and least raw fuel smell.

Once you have done that you can experiment with the mid-RPM advance of SOI (as indicated by the pink arrows and lines in the screen shot). Do this by adjust the [ECM] 13338 - Normal EOI Target vs. RPM table. If you hear a popping sound then you are coming in too aggressively. You will need to control at what RPM's you start advancing SOI (right now it is at 2176 rpm) and how quickly you advance it.

You also need to log your IPW and plug that along with your injector data into my tool. For mid-RPM work I like to line up the end of IPW to PPV (or just a little before PPV).

Online calc
    Spreadsheet calc
    Mid RPM transition aggressiveness (pink line)
    Mid RPM alignment of end of IPW and PPV (blue line)
    Starting tune
    Thanks Cringer for the detailed response and explanation! Have been watching your Youtube videos, lots of good info! I will load the tune, log some data and experiment with changes to see how it affects fuel smell at idle, driveability, etc.

PM me your Venmo...

Tuner
    Cringer, what does PPV stand for? I've searched forum/web with no luck.

Peak piston velocity

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Advanced Tuner
    You can copy over the settings from these 2 trucks and try them out. Something i put together for a non overlap cam. Adjust your RPM table up or down globally and see how it responds. No science involved just some guesswork, better than stock settings.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    have disabled Make Up mode as I have found that does not work well with big cams.
    back on your hot start issues have u tried it with the makeup back to multiple ? when i seen your video with the makeup info in it i tried it on mine setting it to none and found cold starts where ok but soon as i done a hot restart it ran like it was on 4 cylinders for the first 5 or so seconds then came good, ive set it back to factory multiple and havnt had that happen again yet, not sure if it will help with your hot restarts but just popped into my head when i seen ur post here

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    back on your hot start issues have u tried it with the makeup back to multiple ? when i seen your video with the makeup info in it i tried it on mine setting it to none and found cold starts where ok but soon as i done a hot restart it ran like it was on 4 cylinders for the first 5 or so seconds then came good, ive set it back to factory multiple and havnt had that happen again yet, not sure if it will help with your hot restarts but just popped into my head when i seen ur post here
    So yes I had the same exact thought and that is on the books to experiment with. First order of business was to fix the rocker arm issue, which is done. I also swapped in the OEM LS3 injectors so that way I know the injector offset and all other data are spot on. Then I want to get the tune fixed so that all starts are perfect, then swap in the aftermarket injectors and go from there knowing the tune itself works.

I still hate Make Up mode though, so I have a tune worked up (still need to flash and test) where I am using the Make Up RPM table to add fuel shots at 0-384 RPM so start up will get the benefit but still below my idle RPM.

This is just a pain to test since I have to drive around to get everything hot and then wait 30 minutes to test.

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Tuner
    I changed the EOIT using the tune Cringer provided. I've also recalibrated the MAF and IAT. Attached is the current tune and a couple of logs. I have a light surging issue with very light throttle, almost as if the engine is going into DCFO...otherwise all is good. The timing seems really low at WOT, not seeing any knock retard...so maybe adjustments are needed? I compared timing tables from a 2010 5.3 Silverado, there's definitely some differences, but I don't want to blindly copy the timing tables.

Any thoughts on the log and tune? For reference, the ambient temp here in Alabama is 78F if you are looking at the IATs. Under hood temps are quite high in this car and intake is a 4" 90 degree aluminum elbow with a cone filter.

I did change the DFCO settings and about to go try it out, see if it helps with light throttle surge. And maybe surge is work word, it actually feels like your tapping the brakes.

Advanced Tuner
    Where is the slight surge? Dont change the IAT calibration unless you have changed the physical sensor, and then you have to find the data for the new sensor. You are going to have to dial in your VVE, which will probably fix a lot of your surging. Put your EOIT back to stock for now, well atleast your boundary.

Most importantly. What actual injectors? Is the fuel pressure regulator referenced from the manifold or not?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ns158sl View Post
    Where is the slight surge? Dont change the IAT calibration unless you have changed the physical sensor, and then you have to find the data for the new sensor. You are going to have to dial in your VVE, which will probably fix a lot of your surging. Put your EOIT back to stock for now, well atleast your boundary.

Most importantly. What actual injectors? Is the fuel pressure regulator referenced from the manifold or not?
    The surge is at very light throttle, level ground just maintaining speed.

The ECM came from a Chevy Express Van while the rest of the electronics were purchased new. It needed to be calibrated, wasn't matching ambient air when engine was cold (car in garage).

The injectors are 39lb, TBSS intake, returnless setup with Corvette filter/regulator at the fuel tank (in tank pump).

Advanced Tuner
    I meant what brand/part number of the injector. You only changed the flow rate.

Usually the IAT doesnt need to be calibrated unless you are going to run it through the whole range of -40 to 300 lol, but i like your thinking. I have calibration grade RTD's laying around and never tried that.

As far as the log i guess it didnt stand out, what speeds? Log trans and torque converter pids.

Tuner
    Injectors are GM 12613411...bought used TBSS intake with these injectors and fuel rail.

Any specific trans and TC pids?

12614311 means it came off a 2010-up LMG or LC9, which was never used in TBSS. I only mention this little bit of annoying semantics because you injector data is way off from anything GM ever put in those LMG/LC9 files.

Advanced Tuner
    TCC desired slip and TCC slip, Turbine speed, output speed.

This is correct data, luckily i have a 2012 Yukon with the same P/N lol

I left Injector temp table alone. My Cal has it 0'd from the factory.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ns158sl View Post
    TCC desired slip and TCC slip, Turbine speed, output speed.

This is correct data, luckily i have a 2012 Yukon with the same P/N lol

I left Injector temp table alone. My Cal has it 0'd from the factory.
    Great! Appreciate the help!