Thread: Does 6l80 function safely with MAF tune only?

Potential Tuner

Does 6l80 function safely with MAF tune only?

Hey guys, this is my first post. I have efilive autocal and now recently mpvi3. I have been watching tons of videos, read several books on tuning, and been reading countless posts and doing my research and I have finally come to the point of diving into tuning my own vehicle. I recently install tsp stage 1 cam, headers and off-road x-pipe on my 2012 corvette(ls3, e38 obviously) I have the idle dialed in mostly and am commanded .85 lambda and im ready to tune my maf first. my question is since my car is auto, is it safe to tune maf only and the 6l80 be safe with the pressures for the clutches and shifting with a maf only tune. I plan on doing speed density soon, but may look into renting a dyno for that. Sorry if this is already addressed, but I have searched extensively and not found anything relative to my question. Thank everyone in advance and look forward to being a part of the community.

It will be just fine.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you so much for the response, I am just tryin to get all of my ducks in a row before driving. The last thing I want to do is smoke the trans lol.

If fueling is right typically tq is correct and trans be fine..

Few days ago tuned a c7 z06 with all the bells and whistles making over 850rwhp… tuner had it making 450fts of tq… trans shifts much now

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Senior Tuner
    No issues at all.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

my 6l80 did some flaring when switching between maf and SD. Just my experience

Tuning Addict
    Yeah the tranny will live, but I would recommend tuning the VE and MAF both. There's plenty of technology out there now with different ways to tune the VE while you're tuning the MAF and you'll be happier for it. It's really just another table to paste a correction into while making corrections to the MAF, so a couple of extra seconds per revision with a fixed cam.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by biholliday View Post
    my 6l80 did some flaring when switching between maf and SD. Just my experience
    The only way that could of happened is the ecm torque figure transmitted to the tcm changed between the 2 modes. I would be surprised to see that should both airmass models be aligned.

The background VE model is the primary input to the torque model used by the TCM. The car will run much better with the VE values corrected, even if it is in "MAF Mode".

Senior Tuner
    If the shifts change going from MAF to SD than one of those airflow models are not correct.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs