Thread: Engine breaking/DFCO or off throttle timing?

Tuner in Training

Engine braking/DFCO or off throttle timing?

Help me understand this as I might be mistaken the two. I have been playing with off throttle timing by lowering it in an attempt to get a mean burble from the exhaust on deceleration or coasting in my ls2 GTO. I used to have it ever so slightly but it seems to have gone away. The GTO just doesn't sound as mean when compared to my jeep 392 running a livernois tune. Don't mistake this for me wanting pops and bangs. Just a nice growl when downshifting or coasting to a stop.

Am I confusing DFCO and engine braking with off throttle timing?
    Last edited by MTGOAT; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:11 AM.

Tuning Addict
    You need to post the tune file, but you might be.

Basically for just a gurgle while not losing all engine hold back you need to raise your percent max brake to hold the throttle open a touch more then set your dfco crank references really high to enter dfco then adjust your timing how you want it. Doing these - when adjusted right - will hold the throttle ever so slightly more open allowing air to flow better through the motor while not cutting fuel.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    You need to post the tune file, but you might be.

Basically for just a gurgle while not losing all engine hold back you need to raise your percent max brake to hold the throttle open a touch more then set your dfco crank references really high to enter dfco then adjust your timing how you want it. Doing these - when adjusted right - will hold the throttle ever so slightly more open allowing air to flow better through the motor while not cutting fuel.
    Appreciate the feedback. Please disregard the spelling in the title. Dang phone auto filled and I didn't catch it.

I will take a closer look at the dfco. I think it is set somewhere around 3800rpm to enable and 2400 to disable. Not positive but I will look.

Thank you

Tuner in Training

Engine Braking/DFCO or off throttle timing?

My tune attached.

Don't judge
    Attached Files Attached Files