Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What to look for in a scan?

So after I highlight the entire table and paste multiply by %, am I then supposed to go back and do that one cell?
    And would that have anything to do with why none of the other cells are getting any closer to 0?

I'm really getting frustrated.I went back through everything in the tutorial and I've done it like 8 times and it hasn't gotten any closer to 0.I don't know what I'm missing.

OK, let's all just take a breath.

You are WAYYYY over thinking things. Forget about the box in the upper left corner for now. Are you able to get the table to turn blue? If yes, that's all you need to do. Put your mouse pointer in the blue shaded area and right click your mouse. Click "copy".

Go to the VE table in Editor, make it blue, put your mouse pointer in the blue shaded area and click "Paste Special Multiply by %". You're done.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat until you get close to 0.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000C-5
    OK, let's all just take a breath.

You are WAYYYY over thinking things. Forget about the box in the upper left corner for now. Are you able to get the table to turn blue? If yes, that's all you need to do. Put your mouse pointer in the blue shaded area and right click your mouse. Click "copy".

Go to the VE table in Editor, make it blue, put your mouse pointer in the blue shaded area and click "Paste Special Multiply by %". You're done.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat until you get close to 0.
    Ok,that's what I've been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Timonator
    Ok,that's what I've been doing.
    OK, does your car have a secondary VE table? If yes, you will need to copy the primary table over to the secondary table. If you have a secondary VE table, you use this while in open loop. The secondary VE only has the even numbered MAPs, so each line will have to be copied from the primary VE separately.

If you have a secondary VE and aren't changing it, you won't see any changes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000C-5
    OK, does your car have a secondary VE table? If yes, you will need to copy the primary table over to the secondary table. If you have a secondary VE table, you use this while in open loop. The secondary VE only has the even numbered MAPs, so each line will have to be copied from the primary VE separately.

If you have a secondary VE and aren't changing it, you won't see any changes.
    Ok,that's probably it thanks again.

So every time I change the primary table then I have to change the secondarytoo,correct?

Tuner in Training
    So every time I change the primary table then I have to change the secondarytoo,correct?
    Yes, only the corresponding rows (every other one).
    Kipp
    2003 Z06 Blk/Blk/Torch Red
    2008 3/4T Duramax/Allison

- Right click/Copy the entire % Error histogram.

- Open Editor, highlight, right-click and use the “paste special/multiply by %” to the Engine/Airflow/General Airflow/Main VE/Primary table. As you get closer to 0, start using “paste special/multiply by –half”.

- Then, if you have a 1997-2000 C-5, copy the even numbered MAP lines to the secondary VE table by using the copy/paste method. Save and "write calibration only" to the PCM. Drive and see where you are.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat until your VE tables are in line. Your AFR % Error histograms should be as close to 0 as possible. It should only take 3-5 runs.

I'll try it again tommorrow weather permitting.Thanks again for helping me.

Tuner in Training
    Kipp
    2003 Z06 Blk/Blk/Torch Red
    2008 3/4T Duramax/Allison

Ok,this time I made the changes to the secondary table as well.
    It made a difference but just as bad lean everywhere it was rich before.
    It wouldn't idle,was bucking and surging like crazy.It was absoluteley horrible.
    Here's my scan.

How can I use the history to set it back to where it was before?Because now it is impossible to drive.

Okay I reset my VE tables to where they were.I'm going to try starting over.

I have a quick question before I try this again.2000 c5,you're telling me to set up the histogram with 25 cell hits.r40734"s example sets it at 50 cell hits and also tells me to set up a filter for commanded afr.Does it matter which way I do it?And also I tried playing beck my most recent scan with the histogram set up the way r40734"s example suggests and it didn't show any cell hits on the histogram.
    I am also attaching my current scan FWIW.

I have a quick question before I try this again.2000 c5,you're telling me to set up the histogram with 25 cell hits.r40734"s example sets it at 50 cell hits and also tells me to set up a filter for commanded afr.Does it matter which way I do it?And also I tried playing beck my most recent scan with the histogram set up the way r40734"s example suggests and it didn't show any cell hits on the histogram.
    I am also attaching my current scan FWIW.
    No, it doesn't matter. You have to do a lot more driving to get over 50 hits in every cell. Do it with 20-25 for now and if you want to dial it in closer later on you can change it to 50.

If you change anything in the histograms while you have a scan open, you have to right click in the histograms area somewhere and click "Load all data". The filter is just so that if you hit PE accidentally, it won't show up on the histo.

Don't worry about all that now. Just work on the VE, it is in really, really bad shape. Running rich like that will ruin your wideband sensor and narrowbands in short order.

You still need to get your chart table down to 24 or below.

I've got it set at 25 hits and it seems to be getting a lot better. Check it out.

It seems like I have a lean condition now.Do I just keep multipyling by %?

It seems like I have a lean condition now.Do I just keep multipyling by %?
    Number 4 looks better than #6, but none of them look real good. Are you copying each line to the secondary separately? It should not move that much from one extreme to the other. Double check what you are doing.

Yes,I am copying each line seperatley on the secondary,20,40,60 etc..I was wondering if I should have multiplied by half on the last one but some of them were still over 10.And then it just went that far the other way.