Thread: Help with STS turbo

Tuner in Training

Help with STS turbo

Hi, I just started tunning yesterday so I'm pretty much lost.

I have read through the FAQ's, this is where I'm stuck

I have a 1998 Camaro A4, 3800 Stall, 3.42 Rear Gear, LS6 Intake, ASP 10%under drive, and most recently an STS turbo kit w/ Garrette T67 and FMIC and lucas 42lbs;

This car was dyno tuned, without the inj and turbo a few years back and I have been very happy with it (shiftpoints etc..) never knocks held a good A/F all the time.

Problem I am having is that STS does not have a tune file for a 1998 car, they gave me a "SIMILAR" (however when I run this tune the car won't even fire up, and knocks randomly all over the map including at idle. This was the tune for the car done on 2guys garage it is an all stock 1999) . And how to adjust the injectors, and delete Torque Managment*Awesom by the way* she turns on and idles and drives just like she used too out of boost.

SO I have tried to take parts of these two tunes, *one is the original tune I pulled from the car, with the Injector table modified* The other the 99 STS Tune, (I know the datasets are short but I'm scared too drive it till I know I'm on the right track.)

I'm trying to figure out which maps are important to change for a turbo car? I tried bringing over the Primary VE, Power Enrichment, basically all the fuel, spark, time tables. I cant get to where it won't knock or run right I'v tried several different combos from both files, I will send the third under wip(last attempt at bringging over parts.

Theoreticaly what should I be changing? The difference between them is rather large, and I don't want to screw up the rest of the tune, so which tables should I be taking from the 99 STS Tune I was sent, to add to my 42lbs corrected stock tune and make a proper safe tune to run 5psi? And if I go to 8lbs (has a controller) do I need to change the tune when I hit the switch? How can I tune it for the turbo without the STS tune all together?

I have tried all kinds of mixes between the two but, again I'm scared to put it in boost until I think I'm on the right track. And everytime I bring anything over from that STS tune the car gets unhappy... very unhappy...

Right now the car is on the STOCK1998W42LBS injectors, runs good as long as you don't spool the turbo, *havent tried wot cause I know it inst mapped right* No knocks, or hickups.

Sorry the message is so long.. any help is appreciated. Stuck cause I'm not sure what I should be changing to make a car happy under boost.

Take a look at this one for comparison only.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the file, ECTUNE

There are so many differences on that tune. Including a firing order change.

What is that tune from?

Really I'm just wondering what tables I should be playing in to try and adapt for boost.

Concentrate on the fuel/spark params mostly. Those don't change "too" much.

This is from a Vette so a lot of things may be different just because its a Vette. Ignore the speedo section as vettes & Fbodies are WAY different. LOL.

Tuner in Training

Would this work for me?

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Concentrate on the fuel/spark params mostly. Those don't change "too" much.

This is from a Vette so a lot of things may be different just because its a Vette. Ignore the speedo section as vettes & Fbodies are WAY different. LOL.
    I have an 02 Z with the sts setup, 60lb inject, fuel upgrades, intercooler and 2 bar map......its running crappy at about 3400rpm...just wants to stumble. Are these cars similar enough that I could use this tune?

No. The 99+ cars have a totally different PCM. Fuel and spark "may" be similar but I wouldn't just copy & paste away. It's OK for reference though.