Thread: Help! Newbie to trannym tuning but I think I have a lovk up issue.

Advanced Tuner

Help! Newbie to trannym tuning but I think I have a lovk up issue.

Hey guys-my car is a 02 Z06 with a auto conversion. The converter is a 5 disc Vig 3200 stall. Now in 3rd the car goes through 1st and and like normal-when it goes into 3rd the car hits hard and the rpm's drop large-the car goes into lockup. I don't think this is normal-what should I look at in the tune?

Thanks!
    GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!

02 C5 Z06
    8.8@160

TCC Lock/Unlock at high throttle settings. You should have it unlocked in 3rd anyway at WOT. Set at 255 Lock from 80% on up set Unlock at 235 from 80% on up.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Whats the point of getting a 5 disk TC if you dont lock the tCC at WOT??

You car has to have the power to power through a WOT TCC application. Esp. with the higher gearing.

My truck gets 1 tenth quicker in the 1/4 mile when WOT TCC lock is disabled, I just dont have the power to push the truck.

Swapping to a higher rear gear woudl help a WOT TCC apply as well. Some of the TPI guys lock tehir TC's in 2nd and some in 3rd, as do the Turbo Buick guys.

peace
    Hog

Advanced Tuner
    I didn't know you can program the TC to lock up at wot in 3rd? Can you? I just didn't want it locking up while cruising around town. I was going to rig up a lockup switch for WOT.
    GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!

02 C5 Z06
    8.8@160

You will probably want it to lock 2/3 the way through the gear, say at 5000-5500 RPM. That way the RPM drop isn't so severe. You "could" keep it locked during the shift but I don't think the trans would be too happy about it.
    Always Support Our Troops!

I would lock the TCC at close to the top of second gear & keeping it locked thru 3rd gear. Most trucks have the Shift Lock enabled.

This 04 6L truck had the TCC locking in second gear at WOT@50mph! The rpms would drop when the TCC locked up.

Russ Kemp