Thread: How do i remove VATS on a 01 Grand am 3.4?

Advanced Tuner

How do i remove VATS on a 01 Grand am 3.4?

Just whatt he title says-how do i disable the pass-key theft deterent system on these cars? It's causing me grief!!!!!!
    GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!

02 C5 Z06
    8.8@160

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    set the theft deterrant codes (generally 1626 & 1629) to no error reported & set vats to PWM and usually this works.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    I did, that all it does is start for a few seconds then shuts off.
    GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!

02 C5 Z06
    8.8@160

try setting it to the other one and setting the codes to 3 no error reported. On a couple of OS's i got it backwards and it has been fixed in the latest beta. If its still a problem pls email your .hpt file to support
    I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner
    This is huge news Chris! Didn't know we could dissable it. This is the first I've seen of this. Thanks man.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    try setting it to the other one and setting the codes to 3 no error reported. On a couple of OS's i got it backwards and it has been fixed in the latest beta. If its still a problem pls email your .hpt file to support
    I did what you said Chris but the other day the security light came on? What does this mean? Who should I email the file too?

thanks!
    GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!

02 C5 Z06
    8.8@160

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    what dtc's are you getting vortech?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Sorry to thread Jack but, I had to disable the vats in my mother-in-law's Malibu because the car sometimes would not start for a few minuets then crank over. Now the Theft System light is constanly on. I set all the reporting codes to do not report and it still does this. Is there anyway to get that stupid light off?

Thanks
    Riki

Potential Tuner
    rikimenace: from what I've researched, the security light is a side effect of the VATS disable.

--

Question -- can anyone that did this unplug the BCM and try to fire up the car (mainly the plugs with the Class 2 Serial wires)

the answer hinges on whether or not I purchase HPT...
    Last edited by kardain; 07-21-2007 at 04:29 PM.

from what i understand of it the BCM usually controls the actual key/ignition part of the system and then sends a signal to the PCM to say that the engine is ok to run. If you have a problem with the BCM/key/ignition part of the VATS system that is causing failure then changing the PCM codes etc. will have no effect as the problem does not lie with the PCM.

If you can make the engine crank without the BCM then it is very likely it will start and run if you disable VATS in the PCM. The PWM based VATS system (old style) does not use class 2 in any way afaik.
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    from what i understand of it the BCM usually controls the actual key/ignition part of the system and then sends a signal to the PCM to say that the engine is ok to run. If you have a problem with the BCM/key/ignition part of the VATS system that is causing failure then changing the PCM codes etc. will have no effect as the problem does not lie with the PCM.
    Correct. On the 99+ Grand Am's (as well as other vehicles with the 3100/3400/3500/3900), the theft lock is controlled by the BCM, sending the code to the PCM. If there is a failure in the ignition switch/BCM, then it may not send the correct code to the PCM to allow the engine to start. It may still crank and fire, but after 2 seconds, die.

My issue is that I swapped one of these engines/PCM's into a vehicle that does not have a BCM, therefore there is nothing to send the correct theft code to the PCM, meaning that it will run 2 seconds at a time all day long.

If by changing the theft parameters to PWM and disconnecting the class 2 wiring from the BCM, would the engine still fire up and run longer than 2 seconds? that would simulate the setup that I have going on now (and be a reversible test), and I'd be more than willing to purchase HPT and forego wiring in the BCM (at this point, I've rewired all the engine controls from the firewall forward... I'm beginning to dislike soldering ). If it doesn't work, then I may still get HPT, however, I'd either be wiring in a BCM, or backing the PCM up a year which has a different theft protocol, but means entire engine rewiring again.... I wouldn't want to burn the credits to find out it doesn't work then put in a PCM from 1998 (instead of the 99 that's in there right now), hense the reason I'm asking a favor for anyone that's done the theft disable
    Last edited by kardain; 07-22-2007 at 07:14 PM.