Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 bar map for 3800

Potential Tuner

2 bar map for 3800

Hello,

I own a 2001 3800 Firebird. I just started to play with the tuning software, think it is great so far. The only thing is I am turbocharged and am hoping to run about 20 psi. Just thought I would take this opportunity to put my two cents in and agree with many of the other purchacers of this product, by saying we need 2 bar map support for our 3800's.

Advanced Tuner

Re: 2 bar map for 3800

I kicked and screemed for this for a long time.. dosent look like its going to happen. Unless something has changed.

so i sold my supercherger and said f-it
    -Bill
    2000 Camaro V6 Boltons and a tune

Potential Tuner

I'm sure if they don't someone else will....................... The v6 market is getting larger and larger. Part due to gas prices, part due to saying your v6 makes 400 horse.

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by majorboost
    I'm sure if they don't someone else will....................... The v6 market is getting larger and larger. Part due to gas prices, part due to saying your v6 makes 400 horse.
    i think a map from a GTP might work

but a 2 bar will do know good becasu out pcm stops at 140....
    http://www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 Stalled V6 Camaro
    Goal: 10.99 in the 1/4
    Goal: 100 MPH (completed)

Best Dyno: 456 RWHP and 509 RWTQ
    Best: 1/4 mile 11.23 20 PSI
    Best1/8: 7.18 @ 99 1.83, 60 foot 20 PSI

Potential Tuner

I have heard that before, but I think I also heard that the resolution sucks on it. I don't know if that is true, if anyone has more info on the subject I would love to hear it.

Tuner in Training

1 bar = 100kpa
    2 bar = 200kpa
    3 bar = 300kpa

If your going to be running SD mode and 20psi.. You would realistically need 3 bar.. 2 bar would probably work, but your effective tuning range would be limited to 14.5psi. MAFless that is...

I don't know which one he had or what he did with it but I know for a fact Arthansen was running a 2 bar map on his '01 juiced firebird.

So..... there is a way to get it in and working.

Advanced Tuner

???

no.. art was not running a 2 bar map sensor..

unless he wasent telling me something
    -Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Missing2
    ???

no.. art was not running a 2 bar map sensor..

unless he wasent telling me something

I swear he was or he was going to because he sold it to someone I know local I believe... (t-punk)

Advanced Tuner

he was going to.. we cant really run a 2 bar sensor corectly yet..

you can probably make it work.. but it wont be pretty..
    -Bill

Advanced Tuner

well ours stops at 104 and our car will read to 140 so it would at least give use a bit more..... i wonder if one from a GTP would work? that would at least let use add fuel under some boost
    1997 Stalled V6 Camaro

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo V6 Camaro
    well ours stops at 104 and our car will read to 140 so it would at least give use a bit more..... i wonder if one from a GTP would work? that would at least let use add fuel under some boost
    honestly as long as you are not maxing out the MAF stick with that..

and if you are.. try porting the TB, that will allow more air at lower MAF voltages. It will be trickey but taht shuld cover most cars up to 10-12 psi maybe depending on what type of boost we are talking here..

you could put in a 2 bar MAP in a car setup for one you will fubar a whole bunch of tables scales.. you can make it happen though.. for starters everthing blow one bar would be essentaly equivelent to the lower half of your tables.. so you would need to rescale a bunch of stuff.. and then make up the rest from scratch or guestimate..
    -Bill

Advanced Tuner

honestly as long as you are not maxing out the MAF stick with that..

and if you are.. try porting the TB, that will allow more air at lower MAF voltages. It will be trickey but taht shuld cover most cars up to 10-12 psi maybe depending on what type of boost we are talking here..

you could put in a 2 bar MAP in a car setup for one you will fubar a whole bunch of tables scales.. you can make it happen though.. for starters everthing blow one bar would be essentaly equivelent to the lower half of your tables.. so you would need to rescale a bunch of stuff.. and then make up the rest from scratch or guestimate..
    also to my understanding the GTP is only a 1.5 bar MAP... it that right?
    but a GTP MAP max's at 140 also so even just getting theres will help me some

at 7 PSI my MAF maxes out the MAP is maxed long before that......... so if a GTP MAP bolts up and no scaling is needed then it would give me a little more playing room before i have to go shooting in the dark adding fuel......... at this point i think it would almost be easier to convert to a GTP PCM seens how they are from the factory ready for boost...... unless INTENSE is hidding somthing then a PCM from a GTP should take use well beyond what most would need
    1997 Stalled V6 Camaro

Hi guys,

At the moment it is not practical for us to support a 2/3bar modification on the V6 PCMs. At last count we support over 350 calibrations for the V6 cars and making a custom modification for all those is too time consuming (it sucks for me to say that and I know it sucks to hear that but that is the fact). Even the V8's that have around 10x less operating systems took months. We just can't justify it.

In regards to putting a GTP PCM in another vehicle, i honestly don't know if it will work or not. Guys at Intense or Fastfieros would be better folks to ask in regards to that one. The GTP VE table only runs up to 140 kPa anyway even though it is a 2bar sensor.

You can run SD on these things above 140kPa however the PCM will not be able to see the difference on anything above 140. This is fine if you drive like me (either max boost or cruising) but if you want refinement for varying boost (above 140) at the same RPM then it is not possible. You need to tune for the highest boost on the VE table and then live with it running rich at anything below that down to 140.

Turbo's do make it a bit trickier especially if you have a boost controller and often change your boost settings. However, at least things will be on the rich side if you do lower your boost and don't reflash to a leaner tune.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    Hi guys,

At the moment it is not practical for us to support a 2/3bar modification on the V6 PCMs. At last count we support over 350 calibrations for the V6 cars and making a custom modification for all those is too time consuming (it sucks for me to say that and I know it sucks to hear that but that is the fact). Even the V8's that have around 10x less operating systems took months. We just can't justify it.

In regards to putting a GTP PCM in another vehicle, i honestly don't know if it will work or not. Guys at Intense or Fastfieros would be better folks to ask in regards to that one. The GTP VE table only runs up to 140 kPa anyway even though it is a 2bar sensor.

You can run SD on these things above 140kPa however the PCM will not be able to see the difference on anything above 140. This is fine if you drive like me (either max boost or cruising) but if you want refinement for varying boost (above 140) at the same RPM then it is not possible. You need to tune for the highest boost on the VE table and then live with it running rich at anything below that down to 140.

Turbo's do make it a bit trickier especially if you have a boost controller and often change your boost settings. However, at least things will be on the rich side if you do lower your boost and don't reflash to a leaner tune.

Chris...
    i notice my 1997 PCM reads to 140 also so can we use a GTP MAP then ??? or did gm just put it there for shits and giggles?

Thanks for the reply
    1997 Stalled V6 Camaro

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

what about custom OS's similar to efi live....like having 1 for each year...would that even be feasible?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    what about custom OS's similar to efi live....like having 1 for each year...would that even be feasible?
    we already have custom OS's, we call them PCM Enhancements. Unfortunately for the V6's there is no "one per year" option as the binaries are not segmented like the LS1. The only way in my mind that this could possibly happen is to have a custom service that did the mods rather than integrate it into the mainstream software. However, if it ever happened (i'd say about a 1% chance at the moment) it would cost a lot more than $299.

Cheers,

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner

wow.. 1% huh..

atleast chris is beaing honest..

again.. IMHO someone needs to fidn a better way to read air via the MAF..

that will requier reworking its signal or porting that beast and scaling your tables..

that all I can come up with at this point..

has anony looked int oreplacing the MAF element it self? are their any other option out there that have a slower slope and modding that to fit our TB's

maybe something will come out soon thats is drive by wire and has a similar setup..
    -Bill

Advanced Tuner

wow.. 1% huh..

atleast chris is beaing honest..

again.. IMHO someone needs to fidn a better way to read air via the MAF..

that will requier reworking its signal or porting that beast and scaling your tables..

that all I can come up with at this point..

has anony looked int oreplacing the MAF element it self? are their any other option out there that have a slower slope and modding that to fit our TB's

maybe something will come out soon thats is drive by wire and has a similar setup..
    TH on fTV6 is working on a maf calibartion for us ..... it will calobrate the maf for out injectors and let us flow TONS more air....... but there has not been any update on if they are goign to offer the service or not....
    1997 Stalled V6 Camaro

Advanced Tuner

I wouldent hold your breath for TH..
    -Bill