Thread: Can't read VCM

Potential Tuner

Can't read VCM

Anyone else had this problem? The vehicle in question is a 2004 Silverado with a 6.6 liter LB7 diesel. I have the MPVi pro interface with the latest version of HP Tuners. I can connect with VCM Scanner just fine, but when I try to "read entire" it stops at the "Preparing VCM" step and comes up with this error: "Boot Loader Download request timed out".

It was suggested that the truck may have a tune on it already and is possibly locked. Knowing that, I took it to the dealership for a reflash and the tech was unable to do so using his Consult programmer.

Any ideas, guys?

Thanks,
    Steve

if you are able to scan your truck with hptuner then your vcm is locked by an other tuner,if not then check your cigrette lighter fuse.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Make sure you remove any inline modules ie banks, edge, etc.

Try doing the read in low speed mode.

If all else fails contact support@
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    vette doc: The cig lighters are all good. I bought the truck used, so it's impossible to know if the previous owner had a tune put on it, but it seems to be a likely possibility.

Bill: done.

Thanks, guys.

if you know somebody who has tech2, let him flash your vcm, if he will be unable to do so then your vcm is locked and you must buy a new vcm.

Tuner in Training
    I upgraded my serial interface to the MVPI Pro and now I get the same error on a 2004 GMC Sierra 5.3l.

I bought the truck new and the only tuning that was ever done on it was done by me with HPTuners and I did not lock the VCM.

Shawn

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by sfogg
    I upgraded my serial interface to the MVPI Pro and now I get the same error on a 2004 GMC Sierra 5.3l.

I bought the truck new and the only tuning that was ever done on it was done by me with HPTuners and I did not lock the VCM.

Shawn
    Completely different pcm, completely different tcm, completely different situation.

Potential Tuner
    I have a 2003 LB7 2500HD and when i did my vcm read it got to 33% and stopped and timed out because it failed to connect. That was when it tryed to read the TCM. So when it said waiting 10 seconds to connect to TCM i turned the key off then back to the on position and it was able to connect. Dont know if thats the problem you are having but when i did that it works fine. I have the same issue when trying to write my tunes also so i have to do the same thing with the key.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Try reading in low speed mode.

I am having this same messege, i REALLY wish they had all previous versions avail for dl in case the current one wont work for every1, cause before I got deployed to Iraq i was using 2.1.18 and had NO probs, I get back and with version 2.22 all I get is Unable to find VCM, 2.23 beta version does the same thing... REALLY FRUSTRATING...

Potential Tuner
    did anyone ever find a fix for this "boot loader download request timed out" error. i'm having the same issue with my 03 lb7. i've tried removing the radio/info fuses, disconecting batteries overnight, unhooking guages and radio and everything else i've read on the forums, but no one has reported back actually finding the problem. bill @ support has been a lot of help but i was hopeing someone else might have been through the same thing and found a solution.

Tuner in Training
    Also wondering if there is a fix or something to look for...

I just had the same problem yesterday on a 2001 2500 Duramax truck and any help would be appreciated.

I had this issue with my Duramax truck after installing an aftermarket audio system. (Sony DVD/Radio using interfaces from Peripheral)
    Put a switch to kill power to the radio interface module and then I got access to the VCM....