Thread: vin change?

Tuner in Training

vin change?

When i started out I changed my vin to the actual vin but when I started the sd tune it went back to the other one. When you try to change it, it say invalid vin/os. When you I go to calibration details it says OSMod locked. I had a couple of mail order tunes but decieded to go on my own now the current vin is different, its for a 2wd long bed. Any help would be great!!

2003 chev 6.0 HP tuners, sts turbo, gt-67, 42lb injectors, walbro fuel pump, FMIC, custom dual 2 1/2" exhaust, diamond forged pistons, balanced, Dynojet WB, stock 4L80, straight axle with 18" of lift, 44" tires and 5:13 gears. www.ktperformance.com

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting "HOLY SHIT, WHAT A RIDE!"

Tuner in Training
    has nobody had this problem yet??

2003 chev 6.0 HP tuners, sts turbo, gt-67, 42lb injectors, walbro fuel pump, FMIC, custom dual 2 1/2" exhaust, diamond forged pistons, balanced, Dynojet WB, stock 4L80, straight axle with 18" of lift, 44" tires and 5:13 gears. www.ktperformance.com

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting "HOLY SHIT, WHAT A RIDE!"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    OS mod locked just means you've applied one of our custom operating systems, nothing more.

You cannot change a vin to something that is not valid for that operating system or you'll get the vin/os pair error.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    so that means I will just have to live with vin thats currently on the PCM

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by macs406
    so that means I will just have to live with vin thats currently on the PCM
    you should be able to change your vin to a valid GM operating system that came with that vin. Otherwise it breaks our exclusive & popular year/model licensing.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    The VIN the PCM shows is 1GCHC24UX3Z207482 and I am trying to change it to 1GCHK29U03E107622. It let me do it once and as soon as I licensed the SD tune it changed back and will not allow me to change it.

Should be able to do the *VIN Change* function with the *Write* section of the editor. Then just re-read your file again.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    I have tried both of the write functions under FLASH in the editor "Write Entire and Write VIN/tuner locks/Vats". Each time I was not allowed to change the VIN. After both write's I went back into FLASH and tried use CHANGE VIN function and still say INVALID VIN or OS SYSTEM. Also each time I have had to the case re-learn. Some more advice would be good. I cant be the only that has had this problem. I guess if I have to I will have to live with the wrong VIN in my PCM. Once again any help is appreicated!!!
    Last edited by macs406; 04-30-2008 at 06:10 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Still having this same problem but now I have a problem even with a re-flash, the boot loader always fails

I take it that you are trying to put the original VIN back in the truck so VATS etc works?

Tuner in Training
    Yes! I have been chasing problems since day one. So I want to just start over.

You could try a Write Entire with your *original stock* file and then re-read it afterwards and save it as the new stock file. Then put your mods in and rewrite with the normal write method.

Tuner in Training
    What do you have to do when it say invalid VIN and OS pair?

Can you post up the files that you are having issues with?

Tuner in Training
    What files are you looking for? I try to do the vin changed with no files opened.

Stock & modified.

Here's something I dug up of my PC. It has to do with flashing a new PCM with a TECH2 but it should apply to your truck as well.

Enter Service Programing System (SPS) Mode with TECH2:
    Request SPS information for the current vehicle:
    If VIN is: ýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýýý NO VIN is stored.
    If VIN is: ***************** Programming did not complete. PCM requires re-programming via the TECH2.
    If a "NO communications" error is encountered with the TECH2: PCM has no operating system, replace PCM.

When asked if the VIN is correct, always select NO to ensure VIN will be programmed.
    Enter TIS 2000 System:
    Click on Service Programming System:
    Select "Tech2" in the "Select Diagnostic Tool" section
    Select "Replace and Program ECU" in the "Select Programming Process" section
    Select "Vehicle" in the "Select ECU Location" section.
    Select Next
    Select Next
    Select Next
    Programming of the TECH2 will proceede.

Program Vehicle with TECH2:
    After programming completes:
    Turn off Key for an absolute minimum of 2 minutes before turning the key ON or starting the vehicle.
    Use TECH2 to request the VIN number.
    If still no VIN, Repeat process.

Quote Originally Posted by macs406
    What files are you looking for? I try to do the vin changed with no files opened.
    The best route will probably be to simply reflash to stock using the correct VIN. Of course, this will probably require you to purchase new credits for the new VIN, but at least you'll have your original VIN in the PCM.

--Brian

Tuner in Training
    Is there a way to not have to but more credits. I thought you license the PCM not the VIN?