Thread: 98 to 02 camaro ecm change ??

Tuner in Training

98 to 02 camaro ecm change ??

Hello all , I just my HPtuners and cant wait for it to get here. My question is I am almost done with my 98 camaro SS auto, It was stock but now am changing to a 6.0 lq4, tsp stage2.5 heads, tci 3500 stall eith lu, tsp ms3, deleting rear o2's, My question is what is needed to switch to a newwer style ecm i have part#12200411 from a 02 6.0 silverado? Is it true it's better to change it or stay with the same one. Thanks for helping a newb and cant wait to start learning.

There are a few added features (RTT being one of them) in the later PCM's. I think the changeover is simply re-pinning the PCM and turning off VATS.

I'm sure someone here has actually done this swap and can comment further.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    thanks, i'm hoping to find out more wether to do it or not.

Tuner in Training
    I am pallning on doing the same, I am wondering, do I need to purchase more credits, since I already have HP Tuners for 98 Ls1's. Or since I am using the Same VIN the credits will transfer.
    98 Z/28 A4 Rally Red
    M6 Swap
    MWC Fab 9
    HCIE
    HPTuned

You will have to license the new PCM.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Senior Tuner
    Two ways to do it.

Re-Pinning
    You will need to re-pin the ECM harness connectors from a 1998 to a 1999-2002. This info is available through a google search or on LS1 or LS1Tech. You will also need to retain the 1998 coolant temp sensor for the gauge to work.

ECM/Harness swap
    You can also just swap out the ECM and harness out for a 1999-2002 version. The downside of this is the fuel level, coolant temp and oil pressure (IIRC) will not function properly. To elliviate this you will need a 1999-2002 fuel level sender, gauge cluster and coolant sensor.

Both require a good amount of work to swap over. I changed our 1998 to a 2001 setup. But since it is a race car only, it was much easier (ie: Autometer gauges )