Thread: 2005 ssr LS2 fan problem

2005 ssr LS2 fan problem

I started by doing a read entire on the truck, when I looked at the tune it had fan type blank.

I went into the tun repositroy and found teh fan type to be discrete, so I changed it. Ever since I uploaded the new tune the truck has an overheating issue. I see in the scscanner that the ocmputer is commanding both fan 1 and fan 2 on properly, but the truck is not cooling now??

Only thing odd to me is that this truck has only one fan, yet the computer is setup for two?

Senior Tuner
    Change it back.

update:

went to stock tune, no luck. Truck developed a mechanical coincidentally when i worked on it..

final update..

needed an update from hp tuners to 2.1.19 no reads fans correctly when flashing..

also truck was a gallon low on coolant, once that was added it soloved all problems

Thanks for the quick responses Bill!

Potential Tuner

SSR Cooling issues

Just as a side note: If you are not already aware the SSRs have well established history of fan failure. There are aftermarket options that are SIGNIFICANT improvements.

Definite recommendations:
    1. Upgrade to aftermarket fan.
    2. Set fan turn-on temperatures lower using HP Tuners.

Aftermarket fan sources:
    1. www.simple-engineering.com
    2. Colvin Automotive in Austin, Texas

The Colvin fan is a very good dual Spal fan drop in for the stock fan. The simple-engineering link has a couple of excellent options including a better radiator.

Lots of information at www.ssrfanatic.com