Thread: AFR fluctuations on throttle transistions in SD

Tuner in Training

AFR fluctuations on throttle transistions in SD

I have my ve looking pretty good but the car does something that's driving me crazy and I don't have a clue where to look to fix it. Anytime I open the throttle the AFR will go a little lean for a second or two and anytime I close the blade it will go a little rich for a second or two. Can someone point me to where I should look to fix that? It also does this when it goes to PE, there's a delay before the AFR drops to PE commanded and when coming out of PE there's a delay before it returns to stoich. Thanks in advance for any ideas on where to start looking. My current tune and logs are on the laptop. I'll transfer them to my desktop tomorrow but I don't really want someone to fix it for me. I'd just like to know where to start looking.

Enrichment Rate in the Power Enrichment Table looks like a good candidate. I have never messed with it yet but it is set to 1.0 for my modified C5 Corvette. Sets the delay in reaching the final PE value...0 to 4 with the lower the number, the slower to reach PE Equivalance value. Not sure about going the other way.
    Last edited by mowton; 09-16-2007 at 09:03 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    wouldn't that only come into effect when going to PE though? It also does it under cruise conditions. I'm curious to see what it does when I go back to CLMAF.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion
    Anytime I open the throttle the AFR will go a little lean for a second or two and anytime I close the blade it will go a little rich for a second or two. Can someone point me to where I should look to fix that?
    I figure it's got to be something to do with transient fueling.

According to the HPT help file:
    During positive throttle (MAP) transients additional fuel must be injected than commanded to account for the fact that not all the fuel injected will make it into the cylinder. If additional fuel were not injected a lean condition would result as more fuel is puddling on the valve and port walls rather than entering the cylinder.

Conversely, during negative throttle (MAP) transients, less fuel needs to be injected than commanded to account for remaining fuel that is still boiling off the walls. If less fuel was not injected a rich condition would result.

I'm not sure how to adjust transient fueling and just live with the short bursts of lean/rich on throttle changes (usually only lasts a few frames on the log).

2005 Grand Prix GXP - 5.3 LS4 - HP Tuned, MF catback, 1.8 rockers, K&N, Some day I'll finish putting the LS6 intake on

what injectors?
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Senior Tuner
    There is also a filtering that is done on the VE table values as
    you travers the surface, and if you have a motor where big
    changes happen (VE vs MAP especially) the filter value will
    make the airflow readings lag actual airflow, more or less. Has
    anyone played with this filter and seen improvement in speed
    density transient fueling accuracy? All I see is some cautions
    that too much reduction will make it unstable.

no but i've wondered about that too. i guess it needs at least a bit of an average to work properly. i don't think those little bits of lag are a big deal but it would be interesting if someone tried it. you do it first
    2004 GTO Blk/Rd M6 (Ziggy)

Best ET: 12.390 ET, 112.73MPH, 1.819 60ft