Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: vuss

I see a tune, no scan

2005 Grand Prix GXP - 5.3 LS4 - HP Tuned, MF catback, 1.8 rockers, K&N, Some day I'll finish putting the LS6 intake on

Afr

Sorry Al, I just added it to under my current tune. The scan attatched here is now my current scan that I did today. I think by the looks of my scan I perhaps should have paste special by half% instead of by half as it looks to me as though I have overshot the mark slightly. Im I right in thinking that my aim with AFR is to get it close to the commanded AFR which is 14.63 stoich is this right?

Can you help me out abit with some of the lingo like PE, WOT PE, etc.

How do you hit the higher cells in the VE, Should I hold it in gear to keep the revs up, as I baby it when I scan to keep it smooth and consistant. Maybe I should rev it and keep it smoothe?

Cheers Ben.
    Last edited by bensvuss; 12-21-2007 at 11:37 PM.
    350VUSSSS inductions 88millTB, 25% underdrive pully, high lift roller rockers, Maffless cold air intake, 2 1/2 inch try y headers 3 inch exhaust, upgraded plugs and leads.

Advanced Tuner
    Paste special/Multiply by half % is the one i tend to use when tuning in open loop using the Air fuel ratio error % histogram .

WOT = wide open throttle
    PE = power enrichment

And yes the objective is to get your actual afr as read with your wideband to match or be close to your commanded afr .

Not sure about holding it in top gear to hit some of the cells higher up in the RPM range as you would be moving quite quickly , wouldn't want to see you get a ticket or loose your car for hooning .

^^^What he said

Took a look at your log, you might want to dust all those idle PID's while working on your VE table, just to get the sampling rate up. It looks like you have DFCO enabled, you may want to disable this while working on VE, just to get your Deceleration cells set.

Your WB doesn't care what gear you're in. I did the high RPM cells in first gear, since it's the only gear I have that is even close to the legal speed limit @6000RPM (second gear is just over 160 kmh).

There are cells in the VE table that you are not going to hit - Low MAP, High RPM and High MAP, Low RPM. Don't worry about those too much, if you can't hit them while driving, it really doesn't matter what value is in them. Most people just "hand smooth" those cells to be consistent with the cells that you did hit in your logs.

2005 Grand Prix GXP - 5.3 LS4 - HP Tuned, MF catback, 1.8 rockers, K&N, Some day I'll finish putting the LS6 intake on

Afr

Hi guys thanks for your input, I will rethink my unhit cell theory. Later on I like the sound of leaving it in first for WOT.

The terminology is hard to get your head around, when reading other posts it get confusing for the untrained as PE WOT and all these things are off the same VE chart.

How do I go about disabling DFCO?

I must say that with the second scan I copied paste special by half. My idle is a little sus , from a cold start but once warm.
    Fark other than that shes now making tyre spinning power, it's awsome.That is how a good car should go. The car sounds nice and I think quite likes open loop.

Sorry to be a dill, but I havent yet connected back up to the scanner, but I was noticing in my prior scan that my AFR was say 12.something in the idle cells but then once my O2s were enabled in my tune again back to closed loop my AFR wasnt far from what was commanded.

So I checked fuel trims at idle to, lots of 0 cells, awsome im on the right track.

So I guess my question is should AFR be close without o2s and in my scan or both?

Thanks again for your help, Ben.
    Last edited by bensvuss; 12-23-2007 at 05:03 AM.
    350VUSSSS inductions 88millTB, 25% underdrive pully, high lift roller rockers, Maffless cold air intake, 2 1/2 inch try y headers 3 inch exhaust, upgraded plugs and leads.

Hey Ben:

The following settings ought to disable DFCO while you are dialing in your VE table:

Attachment 9934

Remember that PE is the Air Fuel Ratio commanded during high load situations. Now that you are using a WB to set your VE table, you can deal with any commanded AFR. An older version of your tune appears to be commanding 12.83 in PE, which is fairly typical. I also noted that that tune still had some delay built into the PE enable, consider removing the delay as follows:

Attachment 9935

Hey Al Thanks for all of your help, I will do another scan tomorrow with all of the new settings and we will see what happens.

Ben.
    Last edited by bensvuss; 12-25-2007 at 09:24 PM.

Afr Error

Hi guys, I have been working on my AFR at the moment and im unsure of weather or not my results are getting better or if Im doing something wrong. So here hopefully is a thumb pic of my AFR error % from my last scan, logging a 50 cell count for clear resolution.

Thanks guys. Ben

Hey Ben

Merry Christmas

You posted your measured AFR. The one you want to analyze is the AFR % Error Histo. In your config I think it's Histo 7. Just looking at the raw AFR doesn't really tell you much, as you don't know what was commanded in those cells. The AFR Error histo tells you how different things are.

Al

Afr Error

Hi Al, Merry Christmas. sorry about that I had to try so many things to beable to post the pic that I messed up what histo I actully wanted you tyo see. Here is AFR percent.

Cheers ben

Ben:

From what I saw, the area's that you had previously tuned using STFT's aren't too far off.

Your engine is running a bit rich in the Deceleration Cells - that was an area you couldn't tune using trims, as trims are off when DFCO is enabled.

Looks like your mods have significantly increased airflow in the upper rev ranges shown on the histo, running a bit leaner there.

I think you said before that you had a cell count of 50 in the histo - you might consider dropping that to something in the range of 15 to 25.

Just a matter of logging and doing the paste special multiply by % half thing from now on to get your VE table into shape.

Good Luck

Afr

Hey Al, thanks for taking a look at my scan did another one last night will do another today. But it is nice for someone with the knowhow to see what im seeing wityh the AFR error, to help me to see if im on the right track. I was just alittle unsure as I would have thought that they would have been a bit more responsive to the changes. They do not respond as quickly as STFTS to change.

But hey thats the game, I can play the game if I know the rules. Ve table looks alot beefier in the guts.

I look forward to doing a comparitive log today to see how my changes go.

Thanks Al, Ben.

By the way I attatched my last scan for anyone interested.

waterpump

Hi guys, this is an unrelated issue to hp tuners. But I was wondering if there was someone who has a vx gen 3 and has a workshop manual who could sent me the removal of the waterpump diograms?

Buy the way im now getting close with the wideband nearly +/- 5 across the board.

Thanks guys, Ben.

Timing

Hi guys, Threw some more timing in from 1200 to 3600, couldnt hear any knock but when I scanned I only hit the top manifold preasure cells. I have never seen a scan like this before. Anyone have any ideas?

Your logging Mass Air Flow (g/sec), yet your Maf is unplugged. You need to log Dynamic Cylinder Air (g/cyl), and Manifold Air Pressure.
    If your Maf is unplugged, then delete the Mass Air Flow pid from the table display.

Russ Kemp

Wrong PID

Thanks Russ, what a goose ehh. I will do another scan today.
    Ben.

Been there, done that. You don't realize what the g/cyl PID is for until you whack it and your spark table goes to crap.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

g/cycle

Hi, Thanks for you input. So far I have added 4 degrees and the car is responding quite well with the car hitting the rev limiter now so i lifteted the fuel cutoff to 6400rpm, and it is making good power as it now tries to peel the tyres into second instead of squeel them.

What is the g/cycle pid 4? What happened to you using this method?

Thanks Bill, I like to learn and you cant better experience!

Cheers Ben.

Trying to increase frame rate I whacked the g/cyl (or back on the gen 3's, dynamic cylinder) not realizing that it's needed to properly log the spark tables. Then post a "why is my spark histo only logging in one row" thread only to kick myself afterward.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Timing

Thanks for clearing that up for me Bill, I have now learnt something new.

Hi guys, I have just been and done my third scan of increasing my timing above 1200 rpm and 3600 rpm. I was just wondering if someone could let me know if im on the right track here. The car goes well and KR is minimal and not audible.

I have now added 6 degrees and scanned and I then reduced timing in the hit KR cells and I feel that it's ready for another run.

But I guess my question is I have looked at other tunes and my car only has bolt ons, but does anyone think that my timing is radiculous or something?

I would just value someone elses oppinion!

Last scan, and modified tune are posted.

Thanks guys Ben.