Thread: Turbo motor holding 26* timing!???

Turbo motor holding 26* timing!???

I am having power issues with my 402 turbo motor. Car is really down on power. To make a long story short I figured out it liked timing. I have safely put 26* timing at it with 9psi. The motor is a 8.5 to 1 motor. The car finally started to make some power now with the timing. Weird part is it could probably take more! I know the power is still down but am afraid to put more timing at it.

Has anyone run into this? Is my timing alot less than what the computer thinks? Any other things that could cause this? I need to figure this out before I break something.

Thanks guys!

Tuner
    Just a wild ass guess. You are going to need to run a lot more boost with 8.5:1 compression to make power. Problem is I don't think you will be able to make power above 6k with that intake.
    1999 C5 FRC

Yeah, this thread on the Corvette Forum pretty well suggests that the L76 intake dies above 6300 RPM.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Wonder who the first to test out the new LS3 intake will be? Supposed to flow a little better than the L76 and should work with the L92 heads, they are the same casting as the LS3's, the LS3's just have hollow valves I believe.
    2004 Impulse Blue A4 LS1 GTO

PRC Stage 2.5 5.3L Heads, PatG Custom Cam (227/232 .610/.604 111LSA), 1 7/8" Kooks LTs w/catted mids, FAST 90/PTM90, Yank 3600 Stall, Custom 4" Fenderwell CAI, BMR Drag Bags, Magnaflow Cat-Back, PBMFIsMe tune.

410/362 at the wheels
    [email protected] - Woohoo ! ! !

Turn up the wick. Thats nothing as far as cylinder pressure.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/phoenix64
    99 3.8L camaro, corn fuel, turbocharged.
    98 formula LS6, lid, SLP DD, 65lb inj.

Yeah mine likes timming too I have run 26* at 15lbs on my TT402 on 93 with out any issues, but I have wondered the same is the timming really correct or what LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by inspector12
    Yeah mine likes timming too I have run 26* at 15lbs on my TT402 on 93 with out any issues, but I have wondered the same is the timming really correct or what LOL!
    What kind of power are you making?

he makes a LOT
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Well it makes 840rwhp @ 4800 RPMS that is with 93 LOL!

Senior Tuner
    Due to the low compresion and the larger cylinder bore your engine can tolearate and may need more ignition timing lead to get a complete burn. 9 psi isn't that much for an 8.5:1 engine either. As long as the engine can handle the power output I wouldn't be concerned.
    Jaime

19 PSI would be better for 8.5 CR.
    Always Support Our Troops!

I tried that and this is what happened LOL! Not that the 15lbs was bad either that is the only setting I have had it on the dyno for, but I will be back for a few more pulls on the dyno.