Thread: Meth Tuning

Tuner in Training

Meth Tuning

Ok guys my buddy is giving me a brand new meth kit for my birthday haha. i am def. going to need some tuning advice. i am not running a wideband yet, so do i need to wait on the meth install, or is the meth tuneable without a wideband? mods so far-

stage 2
    slightly altered tune
    intake
    full exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by hatrickstu
    Ok guys my buddy is giving me a brand new meth kit for my birthday haha. i am def. going to need some tuning advice. i am not running a wideband yet, so do i need to wait on the meth install, or is the meth tuneable without a wideband? mods so far-

stage 2
    slightly altered tune
    intake
    full exhaust
    I am going to recommend that you wait on the wideband before doing ANY tuning. You can tune by trims until WOT, but after that how do you know how you're running?
    '07 Cobalt SS/SC
    Mods:
    I has a couple.

Questions about 60s? <-- click!
    How to tune for return fuel system <--click

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SJSchafer
    I am going to recommend that you wait on the wideband before doing ANY tuning. You can tune by trims until WOT, but after that how do you know how you're running?
    well as of right now its a really conservative tune that really just smoothed out some of the S2 tune problems

Quote Originally Posted by hatrickstu
    well as of right now its a really conservative tune that really just smoothed out some of the S2 tune problems
    In that case, with meth I'm thinking you'll run a bit rich at WOT. Hopefully not so much that you'll get cylinder wash. I almost don't want to say this, because I am going by what I have heard, rather than what I know, BUT I have heard of people running 12.xx AFRs with meth, so if you set your PE AFRs to low 12s, you should still be cool if it goes richer. The only scary thing is that low 12s don't give you room if you run lean and without a WB, you won't know for sure. Stage 2 was pretty rich for me at WOT. I was commanding 10.8 and getting more like 10.4 or so.

The other reason I think you may run a bit rich is because meth is a form of fuel that you are adding to your system. Again, this is me just knowing engines, not necessarily meth. You may want to ask Area47. He has meth, and where he is more a timing than air/fuel guy, he has learned a bit about air/fuel lately and may be able to give you better guidence in this area.
    '07 Cobalt SS/SC
    Mods:
    I has a couple.

Tuner in Training
    In that case, with meth I'm thinking you'll run a bit rich at WOT. Hopefully not so much that you'll get cylinder wash. I almost don't want to say this, because I am going by what I have heard, rather than what I know, BUT I have heard of people running 12.xx AFRs with meth, so if you set your PE AFRs to low 12s, you should still be cool if it goes richer. The only scary thing is that low 12s don't give you room if you run lean and without a WB, you won't know for sure. Stage 2 was pretty rich for me at WOT. I was commanding 10.8 and getting more like 10.4 or so.

The other reason I think you may run a bit rich is because meth is a form of fuel that you are adding to your system. Again, this is me just knowing engines, not necessarily meth. You may want to ask Area47. He has meth, and where he is more a timing than air/fuel guy, he has learned a bit about air/fuel lately and may be able to give you better guidence in this area.
    i really appreciate your help man. luckily my buddy will be letting me use his wideband setup this next week, so i should be able to get this thign tuned really well

Very cool. Let me know how it goes, okay? We Cobalt guys need to stick together.
    '07 Cobalt SS/SC
    Mods:
    I has a couple.

Tuner in Training
    Very cool. Let me know how it goes, okay? We Cobalt guys need to stick together.
    sure will!