Thread: In need of some expert help.

Potential Tuner

In need of some expert help.

Alright I have an 06 ss/sc and I have done some small altercations to the motor.
    2.8" pulley
    45#ers
    CA header, gutted cat, and magnaflow cat back
    Ingen intake
    Diamond racing pistons with a 10:1 compression ratio
    JBP Triflow Cams.
    I need some help on what to tune it for with the different compression ratio and the cams.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by greggyss101 View Post
    Alright I have an 06 ss/sc and I have done some small altercations to the motor.
    2.8" pulley
    45#ers
    CA header, gutted cat, and magnaflow cat back
    Ingen intake
    Diamond racing pistons with a 10:1 compression ratio
    JBP Triflow Cams.
    I need some help on what to tune it for with the different compression ratio and the cams.
    I have messed around with 9.1:1, 9.5:1, and 10:1 on teh LSJ, and my question is WHY did you go to 10:1?

And by 45# do you mean the GM 42# or the Bosch 45#?

How is your air temps with the compression ratio and cams?

10.1 is fun to tune lol.
    start by pulling out some timing mid range through top end just to be safe, you probably won't be able to run more that 14-15 degrees total under boost.
    Also switch to a 3.0" pulley as you can make more power on less boost, with less heat
    2006 cobalt (no more turbo)
    m62 2.7 pulley, E85, 79lb/hr injectors, 4-2-1 longtube header, airbox mod, stock catback

1998 Trans am 5.3 iron block 317 heads 88mm turbo e85 105lb/hr injectors, twin 255's.... build in progress

2014 wrx mild tune 18psi pump gas

Potential Tuner
    I have the Bosch 45# injectors. And the reason y I went up to the 10:1 ratio is just what black06g85 said use less charger more motor.

Potential Tuner
    Here is what I'm trying to tune out of the motor. Well First It takes a few tries to even start the car, but sometimes it fires the first crank?... And I know that the cams will have an effect on the idle, but sometimes it starts bouncing up and down between around 800 and 1100 RPM. And sometimes it kills it self, and if I'm in traffic it so sucks when it starts bouncing like that because when I try and give it some gas to move it doesnt respond.

I'm gonna say the injector offset tables will probably need to be properly rescaled as well as having a correct IFR table. 1/10 of a millisecond difference in the offset table is going to make a big difference at idle.

Your idle airflow and VE table are going to come into play big time in lower RPMs with those cams.
    RSG Offroad
    Jeeps. Jeeps. And more Jeeps. Oh and Jeeps too.

Potential Tuner
    Im just gonna go ahead and say that I'm pretty much lost.......

Advanced Tuner
    Usually when it's hard to start it could be linked to the crank or cam sensors. Being off by just a little will make you have to crank the son of a gun over and over and over before a start, and if way off won't start.

^^^ What he's saying is when they installed the cams did they also use adjustable gears?
    RSG Offroad
    Jeeps. Jeeps. And more Jeeps. Oh and Jeeps too.

Potential Tuner
    That's a negative on the adjustable gears, and it some times fires right up first crank? and others it takes till the battery is low on juice. have a constant PO0017 code for the cmp sensor and a misfire.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dont_blink View Post
    I'm gonna say the injector offset tables will probably need to be properly rescaled as well as having a correct IFR table. 1/10 of a millisecond difference in the offset table is going to make a big difference at idle.

Your idle airflow and VE table are going to come into play big time in lower RPMs with those cams.
    wrong. go sit in the corner.

for those if you who have NEVER delt with a cammed lsj. keep your false info to yourself.

set your base idle to 10 degree's all the way across.
    set coast down to a minimum of 22 degree's.
    set the tb scaler to 2550 as a start.
    adaptive idle in gear, and p/n need to be cranked and interpolate between horizontal bounds.

what i mean by this is simple. on the highest rpm settings set the highest number here. then highlight the entire thing and select the above.

i can not tell you exact numbers, but this will get you well on your way to a livable idle.

also turn the base idle up 100 rpms. you will also have to adjust the ac pressure vs torque for when the defrost and a/c is running.

your hard start is from the cam sensor being off. set number 4 to tdc on the compression stroke. pull the sensor and line up the marks. it should slide right in without having to be turned.