Thread: Credit/License Clarification

Tuner in Training

Credit/License Clarification

Alright, sorry for ANOTHER thread on this subject, but i read through about 15-20 other threads and didn't find an exact answer to my question.

Say I pulled up my "stock tune" would I then be able to save two copies of it, one: to keep stock in case i need to revert everything back the way it was.
    two: with a different name, well say "performance" that i can edit to my liking without being charged any more credits than the two for the license for my car.

and if yes, i can create as many files as i see fit and switch between all of them without being charged credits, correct?

Lastly, I am planning on getting a custom HPTune here locally before I actually buy the unit on account of money issues. If this person saves my stock tune and emails it to me, will it work when I buy the license on my car with my HPTuners unit?

If all of the above is possible, and how I am trying to explain it, I can do all of this for the 2 credit cost of just licensing my car, correct?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Advanced Tuner
    a single PCM lock allows you to download your stock tune, and then modify as many times, make as many copies as you want

you can only flash derivatives of that file to your PCM if you do single VIN/PCM licenses
    Mike Horist
    00 WS6 (TA) | 04 WS6 (GTP Comp G)
    Mike \\#at&\\ horist \\&dot$\\com

BOTH cars HP Tuners Tuned

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by horist
    a single PCM lock allows you to download your stock tune, and then modify as many times, make as many copies as you want

you can only flash derivatives of that file to your PCM if you do single VIN/PCM licenses
    so if someone were to save that file for me with THEIR HPTuners, and they emailed me the file, would i be able to use it when i purchase a HPTuner unit for myself?

Tuner in Training
    or i guess i could always get the tune, and then when i get the HPTuners unit i could save the tune as "performance" or whatnot, then edit the file back to stock and save that one as "stock" and be able to switch between the two, correct?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Misfortune
    so if someone were to save that file for me with THEIR HPTuners, and they emailed me the file, would i be able to use it when i purchase a HPTuner unit for myself?
    As long as your already licensed to that file you'll be able to use it without issue.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    As long as your already licensed to that file you'll be able to use it without issue.
    would i be licensed to that file under the single vehicle license since the file originally came from my vehicle?

haha..im just too damn confused

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    would i be licensed to that file under the single vehicle license since the file originally came from my vehicle?

haha..im just too damn confused
    You would need to license the file which you can do at any time after you've read it from your pcm as covered in our help file www.hptuners.com/help

Tuner in Training
    You would need to license the file which you can do at any time after you've read it from your pcm as covered in our help file www.hptuners.com/help
    but i wouldnt be reading the "stock" file from my pcm, the "stock" tune would be emailed to me by the tuner that saved it for me before installing the "performance" tune, my pcm would contain the "performance" tune

so would i have to license the "performance" tune from reading my pcm AND license the "stock" tune that i received via email?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    No, your only licensing your vcm's ID number, not the tune your reading or writing to it.

Advanced Tuner
    I was under the same assumption last time, to newbies its confusing everytime you open a file it asks you if you want to license it. Rather it should only ask if you want to license the vcm id and not any file, and only when you're connected to then ecm, this would solve this "problem" would it not?

Tuner in Training
    No, your only licensing your vcm's ID number, not the tune your reading or writing to it.
    okay, so, as i said, as long as the "stock" file was pulled from my vcm[even though someone elses unit will be pulling it], it should have my vcm id number in the file, correct?

so when i try to access the stock file, as long as i register my vcm when i read the new "performance" file, it shouldnt cost me any extra credits, correct?

i think this is about as clear as i can be..haha

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by shabby
    I was under the same assumption last time, to newbies its confusing everytime you open a file it asks you if you want to license it. Rather it should only ask if you want to license the vcm id and not any file, and only when you're connected to then ecm, this would solve this "problem" would it not?
    but if the file came from my vcm, it shouldnt ask me to license it as long as my vcm is licensed to my unit, should it???

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    but if the file came from my vcm, it shouldnt ask me to license it as long as my vcm is licensed to my unit, should it???
    Correct, once you license a file it should never ask you to license it again, if it does contact support.

Tuner in Training
    alright, i think i get it all now..i guess ill just hafta order it up and play with it myself to understand it all fully