Thread: 06 Mustang "Flash Validation Failed"

Tuner in Training

06 Mustang "Flash Validation Failed"

Hey everyone,

I just tried to read a tune from an 06 Mustang and received the following error: "Flash Validation Failed" "Flash Checksum Validation Failed" what exactly does this mean?

I know the car does have a custom tune on it but that has never been a problem before.

How big of a problem is it? How do I fix it?

The car is an 06 Mustang with a Kenne Bell Supercharger running around 8psi of boost. I've uploaded the tune.

--
    Joe
    Street Tuning & Dyno
    South Gate, CA

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    What version did you read the file with? 2.2.0? or 2.1.18?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Hi Bill,

I'm using 2.2.0.

--
    Joe
    Street Tuning & Dyno
    South Gate, CA

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Did you get an invalid checksum warning immediately after reading the pcm by any chance?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    Did you get an invalid checksum warning immediately after reading the pcm by any chance?
    I've got that checksum error on 2 different 06 Mustangs. One we know has a tune in it (was a dealer trade in with a S/C, unknown who tuned it) and the other we know had a Hypertech tune installed. On the one with the Hypertech, after returning it to stock, it read without the checksum error. On the other, we are going to have a Ford dealer reflash it to stock and hope that works.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1
    I've got that checksum error on 2 different 06 Mustangs. One we know has a tune in it (was a dealer trade in with a S/C, unknown who tuned it) and the other we know had a Hypertech tune installed. On the one with the Hypertech, after returning it to stock, it read without the checksum error. On the other, we are going to have a Ford dealer reflash it to stock and hope that works.
    With 2.2.0 our software gives you the option to fix the checksum error in most cases that have been tuned with some other software that creates this issue which was why I was asking.

-Bill

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    With 2.2.0 our software gives you the option to fix the checksum error in most cases that have been tuned with some other software that creates this issue which was why I was asking.

-Bill
    But it also says that you use the file at your own risk without support if you let it fix it. On both cars I let it fix the C/S just to be able to look at the files. So you are saying once HPT fixes it, it is OK to use that file?

the software will fix the checksum if you accept it.

The reason it's use at own risk is this:

The checksums are there to verify the data has been read from and written to the flash chip correctly. Some software does not recalculate these checksums when it modifies the calibration, even though the file may have been tuned correctly and has no issues.

This creates a problem for any future software that tries to read the calibration, firstly there is no way to verify what was read matches the flash chip contents, although it is highly likely to have been read without error. Secondly, there is no way we can take responsibility for whatever tuning was done before as it was done by another software package.

Hence, it is use at own risk. Bottom line is if the vehicle is running just fine and you never had an issue read/writing a vehicle then the risk of problem is small, but nonetheless cannot be guaranteed.

Hope that helps,

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...