Thread: Lean Cruise Mode

Advanced Tuner

Lean Cruise Mode

I know it's not for use on American OBDII vehicles, but has anyone tried this? I'm real curious about this as I travel long distance a lot and with gas prices the way they are in California, I need all the help I can get.

Thanks,

MC
    Eric - 01 Silverado 5.3 ECSB
    ET: [email protected] 1.77 60' 5200 lbs

Crappy website about my truck

My Myspace page
    Usually contains explicit material (language, etc..)
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Tuner

Re: Lean Cruise Mode

If you do a search, I think you will find a thread where the moderators mentioned that it is disabled on American OS es. So, if your car was sold in the United States, you can not enable or use it is how I interpreted that.
    Because it must be Brent!&&\'05 FORD F-250 Diesel, baby

Tuner

The real question is, is it the OS of the ECM, the ECM itself, or VCM Suite? Do they disable it because the sent the software to a US address, thus making it illegal for them to have it enabled? What would it take to get it enabled? A naussie VCM, different OS for the VCM? Keith, would you like to answer that?
    98\' T/A, filter/lid, Comp 212-218, 85mm MAF

Senior Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by ZUKI
    The real question is, is it the OS of the ECM, the ECM itself, or VCM Suite? Do they disable it because the sent the software to a US address, thus making it illegal for them to have it enabled? What would it take to get it enabled? A naussie VCM, different OS for the VCM? Keith, would you like to answer that?

As this would put us in direct violation with the EPA laws, we are not even going there.

Ken

Tuner in Training

That really sucks for you guys over there. The lean cruise functionality was one of the reasons I bought VCM suite. I am extremely impressed with this function.

Plums...

Advanced Tuner

Ok, I'll post my question again. Hopefully it won't get deleted this time.

I did a search for the other thread on lean cruise and everyone says theirs is grayed out and they can't change anything. Mine is not grayed out and I can change the values for all the tables. Will mine work or is it the PCM?

My Myspace page

Senior Tuner

If it's greyed out, it's not even in the code.

If it's not greyed out, it's in there.

If you live in the US, you can change all of those values as many times as you would like. It still won't work.

For the US cars, GM has it disabled. The disable has nothing to do with the values on those constants/tables.

Regards,
    Ken

Advanced Tuner

Thanks. Too bad they don't sell Silverado's in AU.

My Myspace page

Senior Tuner

I verified this last night... everything set up right
    (tables, enables) and no change to the commanded
    AFR. Bummer.

I guess you'd have to do something dumb like change
    the target AFR global and the O2 trip threshold, and
    then tweak out any ill effects by specific enrichment.

quote author=Ken@HPTuners link=board=gmv8engine;num=1087444042;start=0#6 date=06/19/04 at 13:25:55]If it's greyed out, it's not even in the code.

If it's not greyed out, it's in there.

If you live in the US, you can change all of those values as many times as you would like. It still won't work.

For the US cars, GM has it disabled. The disable has nothing to do with the values on those constants/tables.

Regards,
    Ken[/quote]

Tuner in Training

What the heck is lean cruise? Usually, lean is a bad word when tuning. If stoich, which is supposedly getting the best gas mileage why would you want to change that?

Tuner

I have a Z 06 and I have no idea if it has Lean Cruise mode or not(mine isn't greyed out).

I have tried to "tune" more toward economy and I have gone to the trouble of doing the Lean Cruise tables and settings. I am getting a low of 21 MPG in town and 32 to 34 @ 80 MPH on the road.

Also I do not have any issues at WOT. I have not been to the strip to see if the car will still run 11.60 in current trim, but I can't tell any difference, seat of the pants.

My mods are; LMG Long tubes with Random Cats and 3" x-pipe, ported TB and Halltech TRAP.

I don't think that the EPA Mounties will be after little ol me, so if anyone else wants to try my tables send me a PM.
    Warp 10 Always

14.7 is the best for emmisions, which i guess is why the US doesn't allow lean cruise.

Using less fuel is what lean cruise is all about not emissions although the two are obviously related (like i burned 80 gallons of fuel in a nice way, but you only burned 70 in a not so nice way... which is worse? The EPA decided that one for you). We will not allow you to change the enable/disable status of lean cruise via the editor as Ken said before.

I count sheep in hex...

Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    14.7 is the best for emmisions, which i guess is why the US doesn't allow lean cruise.

Using less fuel is what lean cruise is all about not emissions although the two are obviously related (like i burned 80 gallons of fuel in a nice way, but you only burned 70 in a not so nice way... which is worse? The EPA decided that one for you). We will not allow you to change the enable/disable status of lean cruise via the editor as Ken said before.

Isnt the whole product an EPA violation??? Along with everything else we put on our cars?? Whats the big deal about this function?

Advanced Tuner
    Attachment 154
    Here is the lean cruise on the 5.3 FFV...

When are lean cruise used?
    Black Pontiac Trans Am WS.7- Runs on E85

And soon to be powered by Twin Turbos.

How to run your LS1 on E85

thats not lean cruise....
    thats just spark adder for any AFR with an EQ ratio greater than 1.0...
    example being open loop or PE

lean cruise can uses that table to add spark when the mixture is leaner on some vehicles...but its not lean cruise....

lean cruise appears in the fuel control tab...COT/Lean Cruise are on the same tab

sorry..Locking this down
    -Scott -