Thread: Changing WOT timing.

Potential Tuner

Changing WOT timing.

I want to change my WOT timing. How do you do it? I went into the timing area but it didn't look to easy???

Tuner

Re: Changing WOT timing.

Change it in the .60-1.00 g/cyl areas. Bump it up gradually while making sure to scan for knock. If there is knock retard in a certain area, reduce the timing to eliminate it.
    98 M6 TA, mods: tsp torquer(233/233 .589 112), Patriot golds, ls6 oil pump, ls6 intake, tsp lid, pacesetter LT\'s and ORY, magnaflow, fra, HPTUNER!

Potential Tuner

Thanks, I would pay more for a manual. How would someone know .6 to 1.00 is WOT? Being able to edit is great , but not knowing the software term. is a B.

Tuner

You should do a WOT log before you change anything and just note the gms/cyl when you're at 100% throttle. These are the cells you would change for wot timing. Just remember to go slow and make gradual changes and save your .bin files so you can go back to a previous tune if you messed up.
    98 M6 TA, mods: tsp torquer(233/233 .589 112), Patriot golds, ls6 oil pump, ls6 intake, tsp lid, pacesetter LT\'s and ORY, magnaflow, fra, HPTUNER!

Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by LASTLS1
    Thanks, I would pay more for a manual. How would someone know .6 to 1.00 is WOT? Being able to edit is great , but not knowing the software term. is a B.
    Therein lies the problem. .6 to 1.0 ISN'T WOT for my car.

For my car, it's .58 to .72.

You can't really have a tuning "guide" because EVERY car is different. A forced induction car will see over 1.0 at WOT, where a stock car will only see about .7.

The terminology IS explained. And there's plenty of places to learn.

But, in this case, the only way to determine what cells are WOT for YOUR car is to log. And export the data to excel, then look at the log information.
    2002 Trans Am 6sp, Hurst shifter, short stick,
    !skip shift, SLP lid, Holley filter, Dynomax Ultraflow muffler, Jet Hot long tubes and cats, FRA, HP tuners, Hotchkis STB and LCAs. TEA stage 1.5 5.3 heads, Comp 220/224 114 +2, UMI Boxed SFCs

Tuner

Also, a few more notes about WOT timing changing.

1. Make small changes. I never change more than 2* at a time.

2. Always log first, make changes in cells where there is or isn't KR, then log again to make sure you're ok.

3. Try to smooth the timing out. i.e. 25, 26, 26, 27 = good...... 28, 29, 22, 27, 23 = bad

4. Get your LTFTs right first, then A/F, THEN timing.

5. Don't neglect part throttle timing. Advancing a lot there can result in BIG seat of the pants differences in acceleration.

6. The table is in engine, spark advance, main spark, high octane. I wouldn't/haven't messed with the other tables.
    2002 Trans Am 6sp, Hurst shifter, short stick,
    !skip shift, SLP lid, Holley filter, Dynomax Ultraflow muffler, Jet Hot long tubes and cats, FRA, HP tuners, Hotchkis STB and LCAs. TEA stage 1.5 5.3 heads, Comp 220/224 114 +2, UMI Boxed SFCs