Thread: A4 cam/all bolton/verter tuning crappy

Tuner in Training

A4 cam/all bolton/verter tuning crappy

Idle is 1000-1100.
    Cold starts require ect's to reach 134 before car is drive-able without severe surging of rpm's and dying on stop.

Warm restarts suck too, sometimes i have to idle for a minute after a 5 minute cooldown or this same surging effect occcurs (112lsa/224 cam).

it likes
    rpm=> 1100 -> 900 -> 1200 -> 800 -> 1300 -> 700 -> 1500 -> 500 (stall).

Can't this motor idle lower than 1000-1100? or is it an A4 thing? I have all boltons/cam/conveter/headers you name it. no heads.

What i'd like is reasonable cold start (ie 30-60 seconds, then go), on hot days (70-100F) i'd like to get in and go, And on hot restarts i want to get in and go.

Also i'd like to lower the idle to enjoy the cam. I HAVE NOT drilled the TB because i think thats a ghetto approach and this is why i bought hptuners since my ls1edit tuner has not produced results good enough .

My wife wants to drive the car and i think its reasonable to have it drive near stock, and not stall when you restart it and put it in gear.

I have efilive 6.4.0 to log, but dont know what to log for. I bought hptuners april 12th ship please!! or faster.

But would like advice on or points to pay attention to or try to make the car drive as close to stock as possible.

I understand it may never drive as stock. I've heard of people having 112lsa cams on these car and idling at 600-700 rpm with no cold start issue, warm start issues, etc. So i know its possible.

Also i do not want to muck up anything WOT since it was dyno tuned.

I'm all ears guys, i hope hptuners give me the ability to make my car more city driveable. I tuned Vw's(boosted ones speed density) and even with cam, 500CC (stock 260cc) batch fire old skool ecu,i can just get in at any temps from 32F to 100F turn the key and go. I don't understand why i should have to deal with poor driveability with the ls1 at all.

So if anyone has a faq or write up, or would like to see my tune and suggest points (will have to wait till i receive hptuners) i'm all ears.

If you have suggestions on what to log with efilive 6.4.0 meanwhile i can do so during the morning starts to see trims/iac desired/actuals/etc.

Help a bro out. I'd be glad to post my tune file to share with others (is there a place for this?) if i get it str8 to help others out.

peace out.

Btw is it normal to see only 30.5 degrees max timing at 6100rpm? I get no knock retard even at 225ECT hot day and the octane scaler map is always at 100% (high octane). Is it possible to push more timing. The ramp starts at 4600 with 25 degrees then ramps up to 6100.
    Oddly my car shifts at 6100 no matter what, but this cam platueaus at 6600 peak whp then flatlines to 7200rpm (dyno). Whats the safest rev limit of a stock ls1 block? Obvious with a verter i want to keep the powerband as high as possible but i can imagine this big v8 wouldn't like 7000rpm shifts and such.

right now i shift at 6100 then drop to 4600, with a blip to 0 degrees timing between shifts (2000 z28 a4). Ideally i'd like to see the shift extension more like 5000+ and shift points nearer to 6600 if thats safe for the block.

Any tips totally appreciated. looking forward to hptuner product in the mail! If you want to ship mine out early please do

Senior Tuner

Re: A4 cam/all bolton/verter tuning crappy

30.5 degrees is all I get with Predator maxed out.
    If this is your natural spark advance then something
    is pretty whacked. List your mods in full detail in your
    .sig, and my amazing psychotic powers suggest that
    among them will be some sort of MAF buggery. That
    or a giant vacuum leak.

The timing dip you describe is torque management in
    action, good material on this at the EFILive site, it
    can be made to go away or (I hope and plan to learn)
    be reduced to give the tranny just enough protection.

What to log:

FTC
    LTFT B1
    HO2SB1S1
    MAF freq
    MAF flow gm/sec
    MAP kPa
    TPS Volts
    KR
    Spark Advance
    RPM
    ECT
    IAT
    Gear (check PIDs)

These should gice you a pretty clear picture and be
    able to all stream out at 10x24 rate. Get some
    1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and WOT run-ups (until you run out
    of lonesome road) and you'll have the makings of
    a pretty good map.

Tuner in Training

Re: A4 cam/all bolton/verter tuning crappy

I miss stock driveability

2000 Z28 black A4
    3.42's/slp zexel - hooker catback
    !fra, nitto 555R DR, TSP lid/holly powershot,!egr,!air,
    pacesetter LT/ORY,ls6 intake, 224/226 cam,tci SSF 3500(shiftkit,cooler),160 T,ASP pulley

ls1edit tuned -->
    365whp~ unlocked SAE corrected