Thread: Radar Detector Question

Question Radar Detector Question

Just something that ive been meaning to ask about for the longest time and never have.

I have a radar/laser detector in my truck. When i get on the loud pedal pretty good, about 2 or 3 seconds before the gear change (upshift) the detector goes crazy detecting Laser, at a high signal strength. It has always done this and i've constantly wondered why. As far as *I* know theres nothing that emits laser in the truck related to the powertrain. LOL Maybe some of that CIA stuff monitoring my WOT transitions

Tuner
    Weird. I wonder if it's also sensitive to infrared as the exhaust heats up. Is there a straight shot from the detector to any opening into the engine bay?

Negative ghostrider; It's looking straight out the windshield. And it's not the exhaust heating up or anything. It does it consistently when you drop the hammer, usually if you're on it more than 65 or 70% tps. I have it on some of my youtube videos doing it (you can hear it going off) but I'm on dialup internet at the moment (my comcast died) so im unable to post up a video link, but I'll do that soon so you can see/hear it. It's the weirdest thing man, im tellin ya. It has done it since that nice summer day in 2002 when it was bought.

Maybe theres something loose on the inside and every time it gets jarred it triggers it.

Ive tried another cobra detector. It does it as well. so its the truck for sure. on a wot run, it will go beep-beep-beep-beep and then when you get right up near the shift point it will beep really fast rapid-fire/machine gun style. and it will quit JUST in time for it to start over again for the next wot upshift. Crazy! My friends say it's annoying, which it is from time to time, but ive kinda learned it ignore it.

Advanced Tuner
    maybe you have some big type arching going on under the hood under load ? I mean... that would send off a strong light signal
    Mike Horist
    00 WS6 (TA) | 04 WS6 (GTP Comp G)
    Mike \\#at&\\ horist \\&dot$\\com

BOTH cars HP Tuners Tuned

Electro-magnetic interference from the coils??? Shield it from the engine compartment and see if it stops.

Hmm, I dont know horist, It has done it for 6 years/100+K Miles. If something was arcing, i think itd be shot by now. I think the most logical explanation so far is bigbrians; the coil interference. However, all LS1-based V8's have the same basic ignition setup, so...that means i shouldnt be alone on this. And like I said, it does it before the WOT upshifts. At first before i knew any tuning stuff, or knew basic vcm stuff, I thought it was torque management kicking in before the shifts. I have that turned off completely in my tune (or atleast everything in HPT relating to it is turned off, unless there's a secret table somewhere). Then I thought it was probably TCC slip, but thats not feasible either.

...Back to the drawing board I suppose.

My passport 8500 says "laser" when i honk the horn. LOL

I think i've narrowed it down to tcc duty cycle pwm or slip.

I have fairly high values in my minimum table, it follows the stock line pressure curve, but the values are higher. I think the lowest value in the whole table is 68 or something. Radar beep is gone @ wot now. Using the lower settings for the pwm, i filmed an acceleration video which you can watch here and listen to the beeping.

http://media.putfile.com/radar-55