Thread: Fuel Gauge Help

Potential Tuner

Fuel Gauge Help

OK here's my issue. I have a 1999 Chevy SIlverado with a 6.0L swap and a 2001 comp. When I first started it with the the 5.3L comp the gas gauge worked. But when I use the 6.0L computer it doesn't. Is there any way to make it work?

Potential Tuner
    I know this is a very old post but I have the same problem. I swapped my 98 Z28 from an auto to a manual and the fuel gauge won't work with the new computer I have in it. I have HPTuners and all the parameters are the exact same for the fuel readings but wtf?!?!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by camaroguy26
    I know this is a very old post but I have the same problem. I swapped my 98 Z28 from an auto to a manual and the fuel gauge won't work with the new computer I have in it. I have HPTuners and all the parameters are the exact same for the fuel readings but wtf?!?!
    Was the engine/harness from a 1999 and newer F-body? If so that is the reason why. The gauge cluster from 1998 is not compatible with newer engine harnesses nor senders, it requires quite a bit of swapping out to get it to function properly again.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead and this is CF7GO I couldn't remember my password. So I had to sign up again. The engine harness never left the truck during the swap. It is the factory harness. The only that was changed was the computer from the 6.0L.

Fuel system is probably different on the 6.0L. If you have the 5.3 & 6.0 cal's handy look at the fuel cal and see if they are different.

Your problem is one of the reasons I do segment swaps. Keeps all the right components in the right place.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Fuel system is probably different on the 6.0L. If you have the 5.3 & 6.0 cal's handy look at the fuel cal and see if they are different.

Your problem is one of the reasons I do segment swaps. Keeps all the right components in the right place.
    I'll take a look at that and see what I can find out. Thanks!