Thread: A4 tranny tuning writeup?? anybody have a good one

A4 tranny tuning writeup?? anybody have a good one

or anybody care to explain any better..
    I want to learn what tabels change what things...
    want to know what things to look at ifsomebody just wans firmer shifts
    and what things to lok at or to change when somebody adds a stall
    and what things to make the TCC Lock..and why to lock it or why not to lock it...

I am a veteran when it comes to tuning motors.....just dont have any understanding of what an A4 transmission is really doing with those tables and what changes in those tables do for/to the tranny

I'm doing only doing V8 F-bodys right now.... 1998-2002

any help is appreciated
    -Scott -

Senior Tuner

Re: A4 tranny tuning writeup?? anybody have a good

Unlike tuning an engine, tuning a trans is mainly user discretion, what works for one may not be liked by another, regardless if it is a similar setup.

To firm up the shifts, I use the force motor table. It really depends on how the person likes the trans settings. For example, on our 2001 Camaro SS I like smooth soft shifts when driving around town, yet on WOT I prefer almost hard shifts. My wife like the car to be aggressive when she drives it around town, so she knows it is moving :huh2: , yet she also likes the WOT firmness I like. I also like adjusting the individual shift tabels (ie: 1->2, 2->3, 3->4 & 4->3, 3->2, 2->1) modifiers to custom tune the shift points to what is desired.

Now, as for TCC locking, those would be under the TCC Apply/Release tables. Many like to disable it completely except for in 4th gear at 40 mph. I do not, I have my lock up points set at 1 MPH higher then the next up shift. For example say my 2 --> 3 is at 40 and my 3 --> 4 is set at 50, then my 3rd gear TCC apply speed is at 51. This ensures that the TCC will not be tryiong to lock during the next upshift. F-Bodies do not have the "Lock TCC During Up Shifts" option enabled, so selecting that button will not work. Now, for release of the TCC I set it at about 5 MPH lower then the apply speed or 3-4 mph higher then the downshift speed.

As for Stall tuning, it depends on the stall. Some mild ones do not need anything, just pressure chabnges. While other more radical stalls need the shift point recalibrated, increased pressures and misfire detection modifications.

Also, I try and keep some torque management enable to help 4L60E transmissions live. I am not sure about what the limits of the 4L65E are, but I do know that the 4L80E's TM can be removed. If the car has been swapped with one of these.

Tuner in Training

Re: A4 tranny tuning writeup?? anybody have a good

12secss--thanks for taking the time to do that write-up.

Joe Lynch
    2002 A4 Corvette, 1967 327 Corvette, 1999 Cobra Mustang \'vert nitrous car (10.7, 128), SCT Pro Racer Package for Ford tuning, HPTuner for Vette.

Tuner
    Ya it helps me out a bit too.
    2000 EC, SB Z71 03 LQ4, 05 front clip with e-fans, STS turbo, GT67, Blow off valve, 170Kpa, Alkycontrol, 44lbs injectors @ 100% dutycycle, Comp 918's, HPtuner, 02 ECM, Dyno Jet Wideband, Eaton LSD, Speed Engineering 4l80e conversion, 2800 ART CARR stall removed now running stocker . 11.87 @ 114
    New times 11.41 @ 119.. look out 10's here I come.....

Advanced Tuner
    I agree, Great info.
    Black Pontiac Trans Am WS.7- Runs on E85

And soon to be powered by Twin Turbos.

How to run your LS1 on E85