Thread: shifting into drive?

Tuner in Training

shifting into drive?

What controls how hard the car shifts into drive? From park, reverse, neutral. When I put the car into drive it shifts way to hard. ??? Put it in reverse shifts just like stock, nice and soft. Can't figure out why this is. Have it shifting just the way I want everywhere else except here.

Thanks
    99 SS Camaro A4
    MTI air lid, 160 stat, msd wires and ngk plugs, SLP LT's with cats and high flow y-pipe, Dynomax bullet muffler with borla cat back behind it, want it quite!
    LS1 HOT CAM 218/228 112 LSA
    Forgeline RS wheels 17x9.5 front 17x11 rear, Hotchkis struttower brace, LCA, panhard bar, strange 3.73's, 120 sq. ft of v-1 sound deadener

Tuner

Re: shifting into drive?

I don't specifically know the answer, but I'd start by looking at the Engine Idle settings.

Senior Tuner

Tell more about your car, what mods have you done to the car? Any changes to the OE program?

If your car is pre-2001 and the MAF failed or is disconnected, it will shift hard even when you place the trans in drive from park. Other items that affect shifting hard in to drive, and not hard into reverse, would be you upshift modifier tables. I don't recommend you alter these if they are stock though. The idle settings will not affect the car in the manner you are describing. Also verify the pressure tables. Does the car shift nice and smooth when you drive it, or does it shift hard when driving it as well?

Tuner in Training

The car has the basic bolt-ons except headers. But it does have a cam. It is the GM Hot Cam. The Maf is not disconnected and has not failed. The car shifts very nice throughout the gears. I had to play with the settings to get the car to shift nice because it was shifting very hard through the gears as well. It is just confusing because of how nice it shifts into reverse.

Not sure if the modifier tables are stock. The car had already been adjusted before I got the program so I don't know what the stock settings are for a 99 SS.
    99 SS Camaro A4
    MTI air lid, 160 stat, msd wires and ngk plugs, SLP LT's with cats and high flow y-pipe, Dynomax bullet muffler with borla cat back behind it, want it quite!
    LS1 HOT CAM 218/228 112 LSA
    Forgeline RS wheels 17x9.5 front 17x11 rear, Hotchkis struttower brace, LCA, panhard bar, strange 3.73's, 120 sq. ft of v-1 sound deadener