Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok heres one for the experts!!!!

Ok heres one for the experts!!!!

K took my car down to the dyno to see what she can lay down. I had previously used a dynojet with a set of stock unported L92s and stock L76 intake on my LS7 built shortblock. It made 505 rwhp, with the 238/254, 600/598 114+4 cam and the stock 99 78mm MAF stock 10 bolt with 4.10s. This past winter I installed ported LS7 heads, ported LS7 intake, went to a SD tune, and a custom 244/256, 657/630 110+4 patrick G cam, a moser 12 bolt new 3.5 aluminum driveshaft, and 4.56 gears. Its making ALOT more power now and my scans show that as do my 1/4 mile times and MPH, but kinda hard to know how much difference the 2 setups are making when the dynojet I tested on has been down for monthes. So we went to a mustang dyno this time and back when I had my TA with a stock LS1 and full bolt ons I did dyno at this same mustang dyno, and there was a 49 rwhp difference between the numbers I got there and at the same dynojet I used on this 427 camaro the first time. The guy at innovate also did say that he typically sees an 18 to 20 % higher number from 30/20s dynojet.

Now normally I dont care bout numbers and I really dont care now, I was acually impressed with what it hit on his dyno with the probs I was having. First off the car laid down 480 rwhp and 450 rwtq. Now the kicker, at 3600 not only did his wideband, my in car wideband, and my hp tuners scanner told me I was hitting 14.6 AFR. Then at 3800 it was up too 15.6, no knock yet but I am running very conservative timing, by 4000 rpms I was well above 17. I had a peak of 19.3 to 1 AFR and it stayed round 17 too redline. Now I know you guys are gunna say "why didnt you shut it down" Believe me I would have had I known I scan for knock on my tune while scanning and it showed none, and I watch that and not my wideband display so didnt see that either and he was watching me so didnt see it on his scanner until we were all through. Now I know this wasnt a fluke cause you can see it in the graph where it would trail off. I also know my wideband and tune are good cause I was scanning it on the way down to the dyno and it was hitting a perfect 12.5 to 12.8 across the board. I tired adding fuel and it changed nothing as soon as it started to go lean I got off it and again it was right at 3600. I backed out didnt change my tune went down the street and it again was hitting a perfect 12.5 to 12.8 across the board and pulling SO much harder than on the dyno. Cant explain this and dont know what happened, cause with a perfect AFR I would have been well above 520 or so rwhp on his MUSTANG dyno putting me about 570-590 rwhp on a dynojet, which is where I should be. I dont know what happened and on the 2nd run I was watching my scanner for the AFR and my in car innovative display and they both went WAY lean at 3600rpms. But on the street car went to 12.8 right at WOT 3600rpms and held there too 4000 where I have it go too 12.5 which it held too 5200 and then I have it leaning back out to 12.8 which it varied between 12.6 and 12.8 to redline. That was down the shops street right in front, no other shops out there in the middle of nowhere and I took it from 1st all the way through 4th all the way too redline and it was perfect AFR the whole time.

If anyone can figure that out Im buying the
    Last edited by bandit; 04-27-2008 at 01:35 PM.

anyone?????????

R U running in open loop or closed, I have heard that LS1's w/mods prefer open, OR make sure your inj. flow table is squared away w/ the conversion calc.
    98 Camaro, LS1 built, P1SC, methanol intercooled, AFR 205 heads, 48lb injectors
    2 bar speed density setup,LC-1, TH400, 3500 stall speed, gear vendor, built 9", . Just a drag car.

I am pretty sure the IFR table is dead on I used redsupras table to do it. I am in closed loop what would change if I ran it in open??? This is a daily driver so dont know what would change if i were to switch it to open. Thanks for a response and any more help

Senior Tuner
    Open loop versus closed loop has nothing to do with that, although checking the injector pulse width or injector duty cycle can give us an idea if it was going lean due to airflow calculations being off. Where are the widebands installed? I would venture to guess the dyno used a tailpipe sniffer, but where is your's installed at? I have seen this happen, mainly it is due to an exhaust leak. Also, post the tune and the log while on the dyno.

open is more like a carb, not much engine protection, I don't know to much about tuning that far for a daily driver. not many people are that open w/ it in CA.
    98 Camaro, LS1 built, P1SC, methanol intercooled, AFR 205 heads, 48lb injectors
    2 bar speed density setup,LC-1, TH400, 3500 stall speed, gear vendor, built 9", . Just a drag car.

see here is a tune right on the dyno, the first one that I post up and then heres the one right before I went on without changing the tune at all and you can see at the first of this tune I floored it a bit getting on the on ramp and it was great. My wideband is in the 2nd O2 sensor holes on both sides and then his was in the tailpipe but like I said I am just a bit confused lol

Also you'll notice that in the first tune it is hitting 34 degrees of timing in my spark advance when if you look in my tune its only commanding 26.5 this has happened a few times but have no clue how its happeneing and why

Advanced Tuner
    The only thing i noticed was the ECT was a little low during the dyno run , doubt that would have been it .

yeah I noticed that too but should still be okay lol

Advanced Tuner
    Wish i had more than just observations but it seems to be happening at 3600rpm (timing locked to 34deg and dive in injector pulse width) and with 88-85 kpa at WOT it looks like some part of the intake is a bit restrictive .

no its not all that bad Im up here in altitude and the highest we see is 87 kpa even with the best na motors.

Thats a little weird just looked at the log that i posted and it was at least a little richer than the following run which I didnt get to save but it was alot leaner than that one.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit
    no its not all that bad Im up here in altitude and the highest we see is 87 kpa even with the best na motors.
    Oh ok , i have been looking for somewhere in your tune where 34 & 25deg of timing is commanded and the only place i can see it so far is in the idle spark tables

yeah me too I appreciate spending the time to help me out I am looking as we speak as well

I think just for the heck of it Ill change the idle spark to match my main table at anything over 3200rpm

Tuner in Training
    IAT heatsoak?

P.S. can't look at your logs on this computer lol
    2002 T/A Firehawk : bilstein/eibach package, auburn
    TSP 404 Iron Long block with PRC stage 3 6.0L heads, Texas Giant cam, Fast90, NW90, Kooks 1-7/8", Kooks ORY, Magnaflow/cutout, Spec 2+, Spec Billet Flywheel, Racetronix 37# injectors
    Strano Springs, Koni Adjustables
    BMR: Q Arm, boxed LCA, PHR, STB.

Advanced Tuner
    I have two suggestions...

1. Did the dyno shop use any kind of exhaust ventilation system? If so, this could have pulled too much air through the exhaust causing the (perceived)lean condition. I have herd stories from techs at dealers about the exhaust systems there causing O2 readings to be off. Unhook the hose and they read normal.

2. Any kind of ABS or traction control? From your post, all I can tell is that it's a Camaro with a 427. I have no idea what year the car is, or what may have been done to disable any of this. The only problem I would have with this possibility is you did not have this problem on the other dyno - correct?

Edit - Well, just looked at the VCM file you posted, looks like torque management is out, but what about ABS maybe?
    Last edited by Eddie-98GTP; 04-28-2008 at 10:43 PM.
    -Eddie

1998 GTP - 3.4 [3.2] [3.0] MPS - custom CAI - F.1 Ram Air hood - XP Cam - Ported Heads - 1.84/1.60 Si valves - 1.6 HS Roller Rockers - 72mm Ported TB - LQ4 MAF - 42.5# Lucas Injectors - Pacesetters
    1/4 PB - 13.025 @ 106.81 MPH w/ 2.069 60'
    2021 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 Baby Duramax

Was he car in PE when making pulls? I have had two vehicles that refused to go into PE while on the dyno. On the street they would be just fine though.

do you know why they would not go into PE???? That certainly sounds like the same scenerio

You can see in Log 4-26-08-1 that the car entered and left PE mode at frames 292-299. The car stayed in PE on Log 4-26-08.

I can't see any reason in your cal other than the PE Enable RPM being Zero (I usually set it at a non zero number like 100) but I don't think that would do it either.

As to the spark issue, you have a huge dropoff at the .60 g/cyl line. That should be blended at least.
    Always Support Our Troops!