Thread: PCM OS question

Tuner in Training

PCM OS question

Hey guys, I just got HPTuners not long ago, so here come the questions.

First one is regarding the PCM OS version. HPTuners tells me which version it is when I read the thing. Apparently, there have been a couple of revisions to this PCM OS available from GM to fix several issues that my PCM does not have.
    Someone suggested this site (http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web) to find the PCM OS revisions.

My question is, is it possible for me to get the latest OS version and flash it into my computer, and if so, where do I get it? I know some mail-order tunes offer the updates as being included in the price, maybe they can chime in as well.

By the way, the car is a 2000 Camaro (V6). You can find the original thread that I had started on ftv6 here: http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ad.php?t=43103

Can someone shed some light on the subject please?

Tuner in Training
    I would like to know this as well. Some OS fixes listed seem to be worth it to start with. I was once told (and I still don't know if it's true) that I can flash my 99 ECM with a 01-02 OS to help with some of my tuning issues. I would try it, but I don't see it mentioned anywhere...

Advanced Tuner
    Dealership would be the source for updated versions of the os.. Or chance using a file from another person with the same car but is lucky enough to already have the newer os.

You should see the differences in some of the calibrations for the Grand Prixs..

I am using the latest os for my 97 GTP plus a whole lot of 2003 and 2005 programming. Bit and pieces of other years from 98-02 as well.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Tuner in Training
    Im not sure if it helps you, but I just flashed my 99 PCM to a 2001 OS on a whim. I re-adjusted all of the tables to match, and oddly enough... it fixed my surging problem. I did a write entire with a stock bin I found on the repository and all was well. I did a CASE learn just to be safe.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jdaniels
    Im not sure if it helps you, but I just flashed my 99 PCM to a 2001 OS on a whim. I re-adjusted all of the tables to match, and oddly enough... it fixed my surging problem. I did a write entire with a stock bin I found on the repository and all was well. I did a CASE learn just to be safe.
    If you follow the link in my first post, it tells you which OS version your car started out with and and what revisions were made after that.

I know for a fact that some mail order tunes (for example from pcmforless) specifically include the OS updates. I am just wondering how they get the updated OS and if there is a way for us to get those.

What surging problems were you seeing before?

Tuner in Training
    It would hunt for idle on both cold start and switching from park to gear or reverse. I put countless hours into adjusting the RAF etc, nothing helped... oddly enough, this fixed it. I looked up what the newest OS was in 2001 and made sure the OS I flashed had the newest updates. It seems like a great step in the right direction.

Tuner in Training

Stock Bin

where can i get a stock bin for my 05 gmc

Quote Originally Posted by 05gmc
    where can i get a stock bin for my 05 gmc
    http://www.hptuners.com/customers/tune.php
    If you just purchased HPT can't you just download the tune from your PCM?

Advanced Tuner
    What some of you are seeing are changes that were made to the programming that we cant see yet. Changes to tables/values that simply are not mapped yet. I would personally start from the latest OS for the given year/model I could. Going beyond the year for the car is riskier, but can be done in a few cases (I wouldnt do it if you didnt know exactly what to look for).
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovidiu
    I know for a fact that some mail order tunes (for example from pcmforless) specifically include the OS updates. I am just wondering how they get the updated OS and if there is a way for us to get those.
    You'd have to subscribe to GM's TIS2Web service. It's several hundred bucks, not usually something that's cost-effective for the average tuner. Some dealerships will hook you up with the latest updates, usually for an hour's worth of labor ($80 or so). Other dealerships won't touch it unless there's a specific issue that is being addressed.

Also, be aware that GM dealerships *cannot* flash off the vehicle. You *must* have the vehicle that the PCM belongs in before they will flash to stock.

PM me if you want more details how all this works...

--Brian