Thread: Vista will not let me save on the desktop!?!

Senior Tuner

Vista will not let me save on the desktop!?!

It says I don't have permission to access the folder but any other software doesn't have that issue. Damn I freakin hate vista.

Any tips or tricks to get it working?
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Which folder are you trying to save it to? We've revamped 2.22 to save to within the My documents folder which you should have access to without issue as vista has a permissions issue with the program files folder.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Senior Tuner
    I'm trying to save things on the desktop.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    hmmm, with my default vista business settings I have no issue saving to the desktop, can you post a screenshot of your Desktop-properties-security settings?

The only thing I can think of is maybe those settings aren't allowing access through hpt(similar to the program files access)

that screenshot you posted up above indicates you have not selected the desktop location to save your file
    my_bd 2004 Saturn Ion Redline - 2.0L Supercharged LSJ (P12) 13.1 @ 110

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by my_bd
    that screenshot you posted up above indicates you have not selected the desktop location to save your file
    I noticed that as well. Good catch.
    2015 Chevy Silverado Z71 LTZ 6.2 A8
    1974 GMC Super 1500 (5.3, LS9 cam, Ebay Long Tubes, 3" stainless duals, Summit 3" stainless welded mufflers, dumps, 4L65E Monster Transmission)

Senior Tuner

No the screed shot indicates what folder I currently am in. When I click on the desktop either on the left or from the pull down I get that message.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Senior Tuner
    Heres a screenshot.. it says all users have full control. Damn I hate vista.. WTF is wrong with XP
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

what version of hpt are you running?

prior to 2.22, you had to manually relocate a number of the cfg files, your log files, tune files etc. into a location like the 'my documents' folder, otherwise hpt would keep trying to write data into protected areas such as 'program files', for example, and generate those types of messages you are seeing..

the new version does the relocate thing automatically.
    Last edited by my_bd; 05-02-2008 at 08:30 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Shouldn't matter my_bd, AFAIK vista should give him permissions to his desktop folder(although if i remember correct it might not even be his desktop settings that are the issue(im pretty sure in vista if you START in a folder you don't have permissions for & try to get out of it it won't even let you do that). My 2 vista pc's were setup to give me permission for most folders with the exception of the program files folder & my vista laptop was one of our main test beds for vista testing since its setup to what the greatest portion of our customer base would see(otherwise we could've just told everyone to turn off the permissions & UAC crap and be done with it hehe).

yep, i agree, under Vista he would have full permissions to his own desktop and everything within his 'documents'/'my documents' folders and subfolders.

and if his 3 hpt .cfg files and license.dat are located in those locations then he should be good to go.

but, if they're not there (previous versions of hpt wanted to find them in 'program files' by default, which vista doesn't like) it can cause the popups.

it's a bit of a red-herring under the previous versions because hpt is always trying to update the .cfg files.
    i.e. just doing something as simple as opening and closing the vcm scanner without doing anything else, and hpt will update the vcm scanner.cfg file.
    Relocating those files under the old vers of hpt was a simple fix.

the new version of hpt is much more vista friendly. :-)

Tuner in Training
    Just a thought, have you tried to actually hit continue? It will gain access to the specified folder...

Senior Tuner
    yep, i agree, under Vista he would have full permissions to his own desktop and everything within his 'documents'/'my documents' folders and subfolders.

and if his 3 hpt .cfg files and license.dat are located in those locations then he should be good to go.

but, if they're not there (previous versions of hpt wanted to find them in 'program files' by default, which vista doesn't like) it can cause the popups.

it's a bit of a red-herring under the previous versions because hpt is always trying to update the .cfg files.
    i.e. just doing something as simple as opening and closing the vcm scanner without doing anything else, and hpt will update the vcm scanner.cfg file.
    Relocating those files under the old vers of hpt was a simple fix.

the new version of hpt is much more vista friendly. :-)

Hey,

I am running 2.22 with this computer but I have previously installed 2.X on this computer.. Should I go back and uninstall or anything?

Lastly, I don't have this issue with any other software or explorer. I've tried turning off all the user account controls and allowing full control but no help.

The problem occurs anytime I try to go to the desktop to save or open an item with Hptuners scanner or editor.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jdaniels
    Just a thought, have you tried to actually hit continue? It will gain access to the specified folder...

No it says I've been denied and then runs in a endless loop between the two pop up boxes until I click cancel.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Senior Tuner
    Hot damn.. I got around it.

If anyone has this issue in the future delete your shortcuts especially if they are on the desktop and make new short cuts. That was my only change and it seems to work great now.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

good job!