Thread: 2-Step .. did anyone ever get it to work?

Tuner in Training

2-Step .. did anyone ever get it to work?

Just wondering if anyone found a reliable way to use the rev limiters vs. gear selection to make a functional 2-step for launching at a desired RPM.

One guy claims to have made it work on his car, but nobody else was able to duplicate it. That was several program versions ago, however, so I was wondering if anyone made it happen.

This is for a 2001 Trans Am

Senior Tuner

Re: 2-Step .. did anyone ever get it to work?

Is it auto or manual? One way you can do it is by setting the neutral/park rev limiters to your desired stall rpm. Have a button to trick the computer it is in neutral/park and rev up the engine. When you release the button, it should go back to the drive limiters. I don't know what pin out it is on the computer, but I am sure the HPT guys know. I will be doing this with our race car.

Good luck!

Tuner in Training

6-speed.

Hmmm .... the button trick might be a valid workaround.

I've tried setting the P/N rev limiters, but it doesn't work. If I set the P/N rev limiters at 3,000 RPM, then no matter what gear I'm in, it won't go past 3K. You can't drive it.

Tuner

TTT, this feature really needs to find it's way to a future release.
    2002 Z51 C5 MN6 Coupe&&SuperMaxx Headers, Vararam, Ti Exhaust

Senior Tuner

My response was for autos, for a manual you would want the park/neutral settings to be your redline rev limiter. The "in gear" limiter would be your two step. It will not work until you can rig up a way to trick the computer to think it is in/out of a gear. We need to find out what pin location it is on the harness for that.
    Last edited by 12secSS; 09-08-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Did anyone find out the correct pin????????????
    99' BLK T/A
    :devil: LME LS2 402 , MTI clear lid,85mm MAF, NW 90 TB,FAST 90,Cam Motion 244/249 .643/.644 112 LSA, AFR 225 66cc heads,TCS 4200 stall,NGKTR55/Taylor 409 Spark Plug Wires, Lucas 42#,Kooks 1 3/4 LT,ORY & cutout,Flowmaster w/ MEG'S 4.5 tips,Hal QA1 Frt shocks, BMR K-member, BMR Subframes,Hotchkis trailing arms,Random Technology TA, MOSER 12 bolt, 3.73 Gears,HP Evo rims,M/T ET streets (26-10-16),free mods

Just an FYI, I changed my rev limiter for park/neutral (this is a 2006 Z06 btw, so it's a M6 car) to 3000rpm and it worked perfectly. Gas pedal smashed, and it wouldn't go past 3000rpm until I was in gear moving and off the clutch.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck
    Just an FYI, I changed my rev limiter for park/neutral (this is a 2006 Z06 btw, so it's a M6 car) to 3000rpm and it worked perfectly. Gas pedal smashed, and it wouldn't go past 3000rpm until I was in gear moving and off the clutch.
    I did this today at the track and did the best launch I've ever done on street tires. But when I powershift the car now, the rev limiter will kick in and buck the car and slow it down. Not if I speed shift it and let off the gas as I shift, but if I powershift it it does. So I set it higher than the RPM the motor drops to going into second (4k) and since it's never over the limiter after a shift it never kicks in..

Did you have any similar problems?

Senior Tuner
    I tried this on a 1998 Z28 this past weekend, worked prefectly. We had no issues during shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS View Post
    I tried this on a 1998 Z28 this past weekend, worked prefectly. We had no issues during shifting.

did you tape or whatever close the clutch switch???

I have heard about a P/N exit speed but I see no table in my tune

2000 ls pcm