Thread: Serious Bucking Idle Surging after SSF Converter Install.

Tuner in Training

Serious Bucking Idle Surging after SSF Converter Install.

The car is a 1998 Z28 42000 miles auto, Mods are Super Street Fighter converter, 4.!0 gears, ASA cam, 226 236 110 lsa, Long tubes, car ran great with all the items above but different converter, Now with this converter after running it kinda hard, or sometimes just in reverse the rpms will move up and down from 800 to 1500 to 500 sometimes fall on its face, I would like to try and correct this before tomorrow because im going to the track and I know this issue is going to effect me at the burn out box, I have included my current tune file for someone to take a look at, I have adjusted the idle several times, please any help is welcome, thanks.
    Last edited by 1998purplez28; 05-16-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Tuner in Training

Anyone.

Anyone, I've tried everything I could find on this board although nothing is working if there is anyone out there that could take a look at my tune file perhaps there is something missing thanks.

It's classic rich VE down low without even looking at the file. Just tune your car, use the tools that you have. If you have no wideband log the RPM and Map value the surge begins at down low, you will the NB voltage go high (800s-up) and try reduce the VE there and in cells around by 10-35% in increments until it gets a better.
    Last edited by Frost; 05-22-2008 at 12:14 AM.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner in Training
    I have uploaded a log file.

Tuner in Training
    Log file

Tuner in Training
    The stock, heavier, converter dampened the under/overspeed swings. It's definitely VE related. Generally, the VCM will overcompensate for under and overspeed conditons and initiate a surge that may take a long time to stabilize on its own. You'll notice quite quickly that if you command a fixed AFR via the VCM controls, it will stabilize. Try exactly what Frost described above for permanent results.

Tuner in Training
    Paging Frost, I've done what you told me to do, but with negative 15 percent. Let me see if I did this correctly, I logged the car at idle then modified the tune file in the area where I was getting 800 plus on the NB O2 sensors reading, I wrote down the RPM and Map sensor location of where the problem was and subtracted 10 percent in theses areas, after doing so the idle become a little rougher. I also copied main my ve tables to the second ve tables. I don't have cats on this car and im still getting reading from the rear O2 sensors these reading seem to be a little higher than the bank 1 sensors. I've since smoothed out the ve tables and subtracted 20 percent I'm going to test this as soon as I get a chance. I have upload my recent file for comparison.

Sorry I don't have any way to look at your HPT file from the workstation I'm on right now. To see if this helps, try taking out like 30% from your original file at 800 RPMs and below at less than 95kPa and maybe 20% at 1200 RPMs below 95kPa. Also maybe bump idle air flow by a gram or 2. If this gets you better you know what area to be looking at. If I had an editor here I'd looka t your file
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com