Thread: Commanding more timing then set in tuner?

Tuner

Commanding more timing then set in tuner?

Over the weekend I licensed a friends car to start lightly tuning. Well the small changes I made to the car like the cooling fans to stay on after shutting off worked. However when i started making changes to his cruse timing something was really odd. Whatever I would set into the High Octane Spark Advanced table it would not show that during scanning. Like if I set it too 38 it would command like 46! I then proceeded to zero out the AFR Correction table thinking that was adding timing on top of the base table however it was still commanding way too much timing then what I had set in the tuner. Is there something I am missing that is adding like 8 degree's more timing on top of the base table? I checked the other tables like IAT, ECT and I don't see anywhere that it would be added that much more timing? This was even after the car was warmed up. This is a 1999 Buick Regal GS and I own a 2000 Buick Regal GS and have no problem like this.
    2000 Buick Regal GSE Ported Gen III SC with 3.0” Pulley, Northstar TB, ZZP Ported LIM, ZZP Stage III IC, Comp VS Cam, Comp 105 Springs, Viton Valve Seals, 42.5 Injectors, PRJ Gen II Fuel Rails and Racetronix Fuel Pump with HD Harness, TOG Headers with 3” Catted Downpipe, ZZP 3” Dual Stainless Cat-back, Dynotech Stage II Trans, 3.29 Final Drive, 2750 stall converter, GTP Engine Cradle Mounts, Front Motor Mounts Spun 90*, JMB 4” FWI, Autolite 104’s, 180* stat, GMPP Handing Kit, Moog Endlinks.

Tuner
    I scanned his car today with the bone stock timing tables and the highest i show in the stock table is 33*. Well I saw his car go up to like 38* and no where in the table does it read 38*?

Could there be a compatibility problem with the tuner and his car? Before with an older version of the HP tuners we were not able to license his car because of his OS ID # not being supported yet. However since the new version of the HP tuners has come out we were able to license his car. Everything else I have tuned so far like transmission settings and fan settings did work. However for some reason the set timing in his PCM is not commanding when he is driving?

I also notice that in Park his car is only command 20* timing but as soon as I put it into gear it goes to 25*?
    Last edited by GeforceXtreme; 05-26-2008 at 08:23 PM.
    2000 Buick Regal GSE Ported Gen III SC with 3.0” Pulley, Northstar TB, ZZP Ported LIM, ZZP Stage III IC, Comp VS Cam, Comp 105 Springs, Viton Valve Seals, 42.5 Injectors, PRJ Gen II Fuel Rails and Racetronix Fuel Pump with HD Harness, TOG Headers with 3” Catted Downpipe, ZZP 3” Dual Stainless Cat-back, Dynotech Stage II Trans, 3.29 Final Drive, 2750 stall converter, GTP Engine Cradle Mounts, Front Motor Mounts Spun 90*, JMB 4” FWI, Autolite 104’s, 180* stat, GMPP Handing Kit, Moog Endlinks.

Tuner
    Any recommendations guys?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    EGR correction probably.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    EGR correction probably.
    So you are saying with an EGR valve operating it changes the timing of the car? So unless we remove the EGR valve the good spark table is never going to command correctly to the car? Its just odd how other w-bodies I have scanned command what that table says however this one is not?

Advanced Tuner
    I agree with Bill, but also check out the AFR Spark table if you see this in PE mode. It can add as much as 8 degrees based on what commanded AFR it hits. This is one annoying table. I zero it out and adjust the low/high octane and max torque timing tables to compensate.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

13.501 @ 103.392 on 91 (2.4 60-foot).
    13.82 @ 105.28 on 87 octane! (2.42 60-foot).
    263kph top end as shown on the GPS.
    All this and 39MPG to boot. What more can a man ask for?
    * Just another enthusiastic amateur tuner! *

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryH
    I agree with Bill, but also check out the AFR Spark table if you see this in PE mode. It can add as much as 8 degrees based on what commanded AFR it hits. This is one annoying table. I zero it out and adjust the low/high octane and max torque timing tables to compensate.
    When i first started tuning I left the AFR correction table stock. However when I saw the car was commanding more timing then was set I zero'ed out the AFR Correction table. However still the scanner is telling me more timing then what is in the "high octane table". This is a very odd problem. I just don't want to give his car like 38* cruise timing them all of a sudden it wants to command 48* instead. We left the spark table stock but we would like to figure this out so he can benefit from running a little more timing over stock. I will check out his bin file later to see if I can spot anything else.

Advanced Tuner
    Look at the MBTS (Max Torque Timing for the HPT people) table... what are the values in there compared to your scan? I bet they are closer to what you are scanning.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryH
    Look at the MBTS (Max Torque Timing for the HPT people) table... what are the values in there compared to your scan? I bet they are closer to what you are scanning.
    I wish I could say yes however that is not the case either. I will give you an example:

During the scanning: 0.24 by 2400 = 37*
    High Octane Spark Table: 0.24 by 2400 = 31*
    Max Torque Timing Table: 0.24 by 2400 = 32*

So as you can see the scanned data is not the same then what is set in that table. This is even with the AFR Correction table zeroed out. I am posting his bin file and also the first scan we did of his car.

Like Bill said, the EGR spark is adding to the main spark tables. Disable the EGR valve as shown.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Like Bill said, the EGR spark is adding to the main spark tables. Disable the EGR valve as shown.

Russ Kemp

Is it ok to disable the EGR valve while its still attached to the motor? We don't have block off plates for the EGR valve yet. Should I disable it in the PCM and unplug in? Or can I leave the wire plugged in?

Quote Originally Posted by GeforceXtreme
    Is it ok to disable the EGR valve while its still attached to the motor? We don't have block off plates for the EGR valve yet. Should I disable it in the PCM and unplug in? Or can I leave the wire plugged in?
    Just disable the EGR as shown, no need to unplug the wiring or installing a block off plate.
    The PCM just won't open the EGR valve, and won't use the EGR spark adder table.

I also set all EGR codes to no error reported.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Disablng the EGR will render your car unable to pass an emissions test, cause a 1-2 MPG drop in mileage and increase warmup times in colder temps. Just something to consider.

Besides the EGR tables, there are at least 15-20 other timing tables that we do not have availble to us in PCM code. The real way to handle this situation would be to get access to those EGR timing tables so we could control precisely what we wanted, not just globally disale the EGR.

What is more important than racking your mind about why... is simply accept that you have this condition and compensate in the tables you do have access to so that you get the timing you want.

No big deal in the end. Final results in the real world are more important.
    Last edited by JerryH; 05-29-2008 at 07:23 PM.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan

Tuner
    VERY NICE POINT JERRY. Just drop the commanded spark down a few degrees and watch the pcm compensate from there
    2000 GTP- S2X, diamond forged 9.5:1, balanced, Lucas 42.5#, GenV w/N*, stage 3 heads, custom PCM, ZZP SS IC, TOGS, MPS 3.0, Intensified 3.69's tranny - low 12's!!!!

Tuner
    I will give the EGR disable a shot next time i see the owner. Thanks guys!