Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CAse learn will not complete

Well...I followed the steps in the beginners how to, and I got the same results, brake applied or not. Now I don't know if it worked or not???
    1997 Regal GS. SLP headers, CAI, cat back. S1X cam, 1.6 RR's, 3.5" pulley, ported S/C, LS1 valve springs.

Do you mind me asking why you're doing a CASE relearn? If you're not getting a P1336 code, then it's not necessary to do the CASE relearn.

I would imagine the only way to positively verify that the CASE learn is complete is to hook up a scope and watch the sensor waveform in relation to crank position.

I've been told and read (researched) that if you have the balancer off or remove the CPS, a case learn is needed, even if the code doesn't set. Besides, I'm getting tons of cruise knock @60 MPH and I'm doing everything I can to find out why. If an 'unnecessary' case learn fixes it, then so be it.
    1997 Regal GS. SLP headers, CAI, cat back. S1X cam, 1.6 RR's, 3.5" pulley, ported S/C, LS1 valve springs.

[offtopic] Harry if you are getting cruise knock and it won't go away with timing removed, it's false knock. Reduce the knock sensitivity in the area that you are seeing KR. Also engines pick up KR on decel for some reason.[/offtopic]
    Always Support Our Troops!

I realize that it should be false knock. I'm hoping that I can get rid of it with the HPtuner suite.

http://www.scandepot.net/viewscan.php?pk=5143

Here's a sample, and I've seen it last for 2 minutes before.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Stone
    I realize that it should be false knock. I'm hoping that I can get rid of it with the HPtuner suite.

http://www.scandepot.net/viewscan.php?pk=5143

Here's a sample, and I've seen it last for 2 minutes before.
    Man that's hard to read... Can you simply post your HPT log here?
    But what I did see was light load where you shouldn't be exhibiting knock unless you are extrememly over advanced and you're not.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Haven't had a chance to scan with the Hp yet. I will tho and post it when I do.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by brianko
    Do you mind me asking why you're doing a CASE relearn? If you're not getting a P1336 code, then it's not necessary to do the CASE relearn.

I would imagine the only way to positively verify that the CASE learn is complete is to hook up a scope and watch the sensor waveform in relation to crank position.
    I know at the dealership when we reflash ECM's we need to do the CASE learns after the reprogramming. But that is also complete rewrite programming. I don't know with HPT if the calibration only rewrite looses the previously learned CASE info?

BTW, you don't need to have the P1336 to need a CASE learn. I replaced an LS7 under warranty and during the test drive I was getting false misfires on one specific cylinder because I forgot to do the CASE learn.
    David - 07 C6 w/A6
    (GMautotech @ CorvetteForum)

Are you able to do the crank relearn with hpt?

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    [offtopic] Harry if you are getting cruise knock and it won't go away with timing removed, it's false knock. Reduce the knock sensitivity in the area that you are seeing KR. Also engines pick up KR on decel for some reason.[/offtopic]
    How do I reduce sensitivity?

Tuner
    You can also throw a P0315 code which requires the relearn. That's what mine needs. My ECM was bought off Ebay blank, so it has never had a proper case learn to date.

I have yet been able to perform this with HPT - running a 2005 5.3L motor with E40 ECM. I don't recall the exact errors, but IIRC, it gives one error complaining about too much rpm if I rev too fast and a tps too low or something to that effect if I rev too slowly. I tried it a bunch of times. P0315 code still stored..

I was using the vehicle brakes as per the help file, but not parking brake. Not sure if that matters. Either way, this is a Jeep swap and ECM wouldn't know if parking brake was applied anyway..

Are you ensuring you are chopping the throttle as soon as it hits the rev limiter?

Tuner
    It never gets that high for me. I get an error or it seems to reset before the revs get up there..

I had the same problem, try reving faster.

Tuner
    I'll give it another shot.. Thanks.

Tuner
    Old thread.... I just did a learn on mine. I'm with some of the other posters. There is nada indication that the procedure was completed successfully. Rev it to the limiter.... get off the throttle...let it get back to idle. HPT goes back to ready. Its unclear from then do you turn the ignition completely off or back to accessory. I assume accessory since you would need power to the PCM/interface to write whatever to the PCM for the 15 seconds per the instructions. I don't see any communication to the interface , the amber light activity so I have no friggin clue if the learn was completed satisfactorily.

03 Silverado Z71, 6.0L (LQ4), Magnacharger Radix, 90mm TB, 9psi boost, 60# Mototron FM Injectors, Meth Injection, LPE GT7 Cam, PI Vigilante 2600, FLT Level 5 4l65E, Dynatech, Custom Stainless Dual Exhaust, Detroit True-Trac, 4.10's, Electric Fans, AirAid CAI. HSW Dry Nitrous with 50 shot. 11.73 @ 114 - 2Bar SD - @@@Photos and Video@@@

Potential Tuner
    I just did a case learn on my 04 Silverado. It took a few trys. The only indication that it is working is when you notice the fuel cut-off at about 4000 RPM. You only have 3 - 4 seconds to rev the motor after you click the button. After turning off the engine and waiting for at least 15 sec., turn the key on, connect, and then you can clear the error code.
    2002 Z28, 2004 Silverado HD 8.1/Ally

Potential Tuner
    I am having trouble with trying to do a case learn myself.

How fast are you suppose to rev it? I know it says over a 4 sec period but I have tried that several times and it just wont work.

Any other things I should focus on to get this right?

I have followed the instructions posted on the first page and still there is a problem.

Any help someone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Senior Tuner
    FYI, I had to use the Tech2 to complete the CASE Relearn on an '02 F-Bod. It would work on HPT, but the pcm wouldn't store the data.

I know with the Tech2 that they do NOT tell you to turn the car off, at least on this one, after it hits the rev limiter, but instead just let it continue to idle while the pcm stores it. Once done turn it off, then back on, and clear the P1336 code.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Tuner in Training
    Worked great!

Quote Originally Posted by ct06gto View Post
    Follow these directions and it will work.