Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I change to run E85 on my 07 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by LazMan
    http://www.gm.com/explore/technology...ors_060706.jsp
    They started implementing this on 2006 vehicles (scroll down about 1/2 way), but there might be other "hidden" things in the tune that we cannot adjust / see in addition to "Flex Fuel: Enable / Disable".

http://media.gm.com/us/gm/en/news/pr...%209-15-05.htm
    Plus you're all right on the injector size issue. (scroll down about 2/3 of the way)

Nonetheless, it'd be nice for 10% ethanol fuels. I just set mine to "Enabled" though and will try to find some ethanol to put in it. Say ... 1 gallon of it into a half-full 17.5 gallon tank ... giving me 10-12% ethanol fuel after I shake the rear a little, and then drive a day or 2 and scan.

The AFR at closed-loop should be 14.0:1 or so instead of 14.7:1 ... I'll let you all know the results of this experiment in the next week or so.
    Thanks for the info. I was planning on doing the same type of experiment tommorow.
    1998 z28 A4 mods are 347 forged shortblock, prc 5.3l stg2.5, long tubes 3'' moroso siralflow dumped, ms3 cam, PTM 90mm TB, Fast 90mm intake, Electric Water Pump.This is my bracket racing car.

I went ahead and did it today. It didn't work. The AFR stayed the same. My service stability system started going on and then turning off over and over again. after about 5 mins I got a check engine light. It was for lean condition.

I didn't put pure e85 in it. It had 10.2 gallons gasoline and I put in 14 gallons of E85. I am going to try changing the stoich value across the board to make it right for the current mix and see if this gets rid of the service stability system problem as well as of course the lean problem.
    1998 z28 A4 mods are 347 forged shortblock, prc 5.3l stg2.5, long tubes 3'' moroso siralflow dumped, ms3 cam, PTM 90mm TB, Fast 90mm intake, Electric Water Pump.This is my bracket racing car.

Ok I adjusted the stoich to the percentage of ethanol I have and all the problems went away.

The injectors will need to be bigger because I am not running full E85 yet and the duty cycle already hits 100% at WOT. If I lower the stoich any more I would be well over that at WOT. So I think it would be fine to run if it was driven easy, but if not it will have to have bigger injectors. I would love to get the specs on the 2009 escalade that is flexfuel from the start.

I am going to run this tank out/low before filling up and see how it effects my MPG.
    I will probley go ahead and pick up a flex fuel rail.

Do flex fuel and non flex fuel have the same fuel pumps?

How do I find out what size injectors I have now?
    Last edited by brandonppr; 06-12-2008 at 12:54 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    yeah. get those specs (all should be available from your local GMC, Chevy, or Caddy dealership) and part numbers. i will probably do the swap myself. couldnt hurt to have the option of running either fuels

Advanced Tuner
    It didn't work for me either. I'm sure HPTuners can open up whatever parameters are still hidden, causing it not to enable.

Since I added so little ethanol, I didn't bother changing the afr to 14.0 yet. Its kind-of cool actually, running slightly lean on the highway ... but I never once dared go WOT ... I'd be lean as I'm already tuned at 13:0 afr.

Its my understanding that GM swaps injectors and tunes, and you've got a flex-fuel vehicle. Never read anythign about the fuel pump.

I was comparing injector flow rates on a flex-fuel 2007 5.3L v8 truck tune, and a 2007 5.3L v8 non-flex-fuel tune from the tune repository (just do some hunting) and you can see the injectors ARE bigger on the flex-fuel engines.

All the dealer could tell me was the part# is 12580681 for the injectors. I found a flex fuel rail for $40. I just need to figure out the injector size so I can figure out what size I need.

I'm not sure if that dealer really gave me the right part number because I see that part number coming up for 5.3-6.0 engines. I think they may have given me the 2006 6.0L injector number.

I was told the stock injectors are 39# injectors. Who sells larger injectors for these things? I noticed they looke different than my LS1 injectors.
    Last edited by brandonppr; 06-12-2008 at 02:17 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Wish I could help you. I have no idea. I want to do this too, so if you get anywhere let me know.

However, I had a thought. If one were to get a stock "flex fuel" tune for the same car, license it, change the VIN, and flash it, would that enable flex fuel?

Just a thought. I'm not blowing 2 credits to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by LazMan
    Wish I could help you. I have no idea. I want to do this too, so if you get anywhere let me know.

However, I had a thought. If one were to get a stock "flex fuel" tune for the same car, license it, change the VIN, and flash it, would that enable flex fuel?

Just a thought. I'm not blowing 2 credits to test it.
    I wondered the same thing. The 2009 Escalade is the only one with flex fuel and it has not went on sale yet, so that would work for me as of yet. I'm just going to change the injectors and the stoich and run E85 all the time. I have a few pumps near me now and it is now possible for me to run it all the time.

I found injectors. They are just like LS7 injectors.

TSP has a #50 at 58psi set and a #65 at 58psi set.

Should I just go with the #65 set?

Advanced Tuner
    Awesome! I'd get the biggest you can get.

Here's food for thought: could you use the 2008 LS7 injector flow rate data and quickly get running without having to "scale" your injectors if you used the same injectors as the Z06? I think so. Though, the scaling isnt a big deal.

Again, I'd get the #65's for your big engine. Probably would have to think about it more for an LS4 5.3L.

Oh, and part numbers for both, prices, and a link or something would be nice.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/cate...ID=10&catid=10

Is there an issue with going over 63# injectors?
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...=ls7+injectors

Also I beleive the stock LS7 injectors are the same as mine 39# injectors.
    Last edited by brandonppr; 06-13-2008 at 09:16 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonppr
    I wondered the same thing. The 2009 Escalade is the only one with flex fuel and it has not went on sale yet, so that would work for me as of yet. I'm just going to change the injectors and the stoich and run E85 all the time. I have a few pumps near me now and it is now possible for me to run it all the time.

I found injectors. They are just like LS7 injectors.

TSP has a #50 at 58psi set and a #65 at 58psi set.

Should I just go with the #65 set?
    what do you mean the 09 escalade is the only one with flex fuel? dont all gmt non-afm 5.3 silverados, tahoes and suburbans have that option? i am almost positive they do?

Quote Originally Posted by Texsrt4
    what do you mean the 09 escalade is the only one with flex fuel? dont all gmt non-afm 5.3 silverados, tahoes and suburbans have that option? i am almost positive they do?
    Well the 09 is the only 6.2L Flex fuel. He was talking about using a file from another truck that what flex fuel. If it was a 5.3L it wouldn't work for mine. I don't think he is talking about just looking for the changes that are different because some things may be in there that we can't see with HPtuners that have to be adjusted to enable flex fuel on the 6.2L.

I guess you might could make it work, but I don't want to take the chance in it not working out right.

How does this work and could we do it with HPtuners?

http://e85vehicles.com/images/Picture%20023.jpg

It's called FlexTek and FlexTek is simply a computer component that changes the pulse width of your injectors , leaving the injectors open slightly longer thereby delivering slightly more fuel that you need into the combustion chamber for your vehicle to run correctly on e85. you remove the Injector plugs on your Fuel Injectors and plug them into the FlexTek plugs and then insert the FlexTek plug on your fuel Injectors .
    Could we not just change the pulse width on the injectors instead of changing injectors?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonppr
    How does this work and could we do it with HPtuners?

http://e85vehicles.com/images/Picture%20023.jpg

Could we not just change the pulse width on the injectors instead of changing injectors?
    Scale down your IFR tables to trick it. It does work just not the best way in my opinion.

Advanced Tuner
    Scale DOWN? :\ Shouldn't that be scale up? (I have given this zero thought btw).

I put "e-60" ish in my car. 12.4 / 17.5 gallons e-85, 5.1 gallons of 87 octane. By my math thats 60% alcohol, and about 99 octane. I set it to 11.1AFR. I'm getting + - 4 STFTs (have LTFTs disabled) so I must be pretty spot on.

I did not go past 20% throttle driving, but will do some testing tomorrow. Maybe my "puny" 5.3L has enough injectors for a 60/40 mix? We'll see. Runs SMOOTH as silk and smells nice, btw.
    Last edited by LazMan; 06-15-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Your running about the same mix as I have right now. Your also running about the same stoich as I am.

I put some more E85 in today. I had 8 gallons left of the fuel that was mixed 58% E85 and 42% E10. So I'm guessing there are about 3 gallons of E10 left in there and 22 gallons of E85.

I don't plan on doing anything other than cruising until I get injectors though. I will probley log it some tommorow and see how the injectors duty cycle is doing.

Advanced Tuner
    do the 6.0 or 6.2 use the same injectors as the 5.3?

Advanced Tuner
    Almost certainly not the same injectors on the 5.3L and the 6L / 6.2L, as indicated by different IFR tables.

I did something similar brand. I'm running around "E63" ... 12.4 gallons E85 + 5.1 gallons of 87 octane E10. I set to 11.1AFR across the table (which is the "62%" alcohol value). I arrived at that value via the following math:

( 12.4 * .85 ) + (5 .1 * .10 ) =
    10.54 + 0.51 = 11.05 gallons of alcohol.

Since my 17.5 gallon tank was full to the brim:

11.05 gal of alcohol / 17.5 total gallons = 0.631 alcohol per gallon = 63% alcohol = E63

My trims are about where they were with gasoline.

At full throttle, I'm running a max of 89% injector duty cycle. By my estimates I can't go full E85, but I can run this just fine.

Brando, using my formula, your original fuel-up brand was E54. I couldn't calculate your subsequent tank.
    Last edited by LazMan; 06-15-2008 at 05:02 PM.