Thread: Firing Order?

Tuner in Training

Firing Order?

Under Engine Diagnostic/Firing order

If you change this at all, does it change the actual firing order of the engine? Or does the vcm use this strictly as a reference guide to detect misfires only?

The reason for the question is a tune I found in the tune repository where this was changed. I am a little weary of using it.

Tuner in Training
    TTT!

Anyone?

Tuner in Training CAMAROZ28AQUINO's Avatar
    i would leave that shit alone man, i dont know much about that but i dont think its possible to change the firing order, well im sure you can but shit would be messed up since the engine is physically setup a specific way

1998 Camaro Z28 A4
    18x9.5 C6 Z06's |SLP Lid | Pacesetter Lt's | Custom Catted Y | Corsa Catback | Cutout | TCI 3000 | 3.73's | Comp 228/232 .588/.595 110+4 | PRC Duals | 7.425 Pushrods | Hp Tuners |

Misfire only
    2002 Chevy ECSB, 6.0 - 4L80, Comp Cam 226/270 .520/.524 Lift 115 Lobe - Magnaflow exhaust -Free flow cats K/N Kit - Electric fans - 3.73

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by always last
    Misfire only
    Ok, so then what would be the advantage of disadvantage to changing this?

The tune in question apparently was done by a shop with a good reputation. So what possible advantage could they have gained from changing this?

Tuner in Training
    Ttt

to truly change engine firing order you have to change the cam.

But you just cant jam any old firing order cam in the motor the valves won't be opening at the right times in relation to the pistons, and your motor wont run, so changing cam grind (lobe orientations) has to be timed properly to the crank pin orientations.

So if you change the cam to another firing order properly timed to the crank that's when you change the ignition firing order in the HP tuners software. then your motor will run properly.

Im sure there's someone here lurking that could tell us what pistons are up at tdc together and what firing order possibilites there are on the lsx motors

old chevy 350's can have their firing order changed pretty easily with a new cam grind and swapping around some plug wires on the distributor. But I am not sure about the possibilities are for lsx motors..
    Last edited by Fox95; 06-16-2008 at 10:45 PM.
    Roadracing Crew Chief - World Superbike, British Superbike, Moto America.

Tuner
    I guess that it's cool that you can...but what purpose would that serve unless you are trying to use the LSx engine management system on a different engine...I would think that it's would require alot more time that it would be worth.
    Murphy's Laws of War:
    Bullets Have The Right-Of-Way
    Friendly Fire....Isnt
    If It Is Strong Enough The Enemy Cant Get In....You Cant Get Out
    Tracers Point Both Ways

Quote Originally Posted by ANTIVNM
    Ok, so then what would be the advantage of disadvantage to changing this?

The tune in question apparently was done by a shop with a good reputation. So what possible advantage could they have gained from changing this?
    There are a lot of "reputable" tuners that suck.

Leave it alone. There is nothing to gain from changing this. If you post up what you see, it would be useful. 4,3,1,8,7,2,6,5 is the 2000 factory settings, but other years I believe might have something like 3,1,8,7,2,6,5,4 or something. If you look (or post it) I am sure it is most likely just starting at a different point.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox95
    to truly change engine firing order you have to change the cam.

But you just cant jam any old firing order cam in the motor the valves won't be opening at the right times in relation to the pistons, and your motor wont run, so changing cam grind (lobe orientations) has to be timed properly to the crank pin orientations.

So if you change the cam to another firing order properly timed to the crank that's when you change the ignition firing order in the HP tuners software. then your motor will run properly.

Im sure there's someone here lurking that could tell us what pistons are up at tdc together and what firing order possibilites there are on the lsx motors

old chevy 350's can have their firing order changed pretty easily with a new cam grind and swapping around some plug wires on the distributor. But I am not sure about the possibilities are for lsx motors..
    Ya, I Know/knew all of these things. That is why I wanted to get this question answered! The tune I was looking at is for a set up really, really close to mine. I noticed this was different, and didn't want to tear my car up using it if actually changed my firing order. I am not trying to change my firing order!

Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    There are a lot of "reputable" tuners that suck.

Leave it alone. There is nothing to gain from changing this. If you post up what you see, it would be useful. 4,3,1,8,7,2,6,5 is the 2000 factory settings, but other years I believe might have something like 3,1,8,7,2,6,5,4 or something. If you look (or post it) I am sure it is most likely just starting at a different point.
    Ya, I know there are tuners out there that suck ,lol! One of the reasons I decided to purchase HPT's and learn and do it myself.

Mine is 98 camaro and this was from a 98 corvette. so it shouldn't be different because it's a vette. Should it?

Here are the files.

the tune in question: Attachment 12738

and my stock file: Attachment 12739

Tuner in Training
    Ttt

TTT for what? What was not answered?
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

The firing order is the same in both tunes, Just starts with a different cylinder.

and I quote...

Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    If you look (or post it) I am sure it is most likely just starting at a different point.
    I never looked at the tunes, but from the previous post it sounds like if you read what I posted you would have figured it out

there is a common swap between 4 & 7 for firing order...older engines use this for chaning the torque curves and such...I think it's called the 4-7 swap or something along those lines...swap-cam or whatever...
    2001 Z28 (Black-6 Speed converted to 4L60E) - Holley Hi-Ram LS3 Iron 6.0 bored/stroked 408 Forged Internals 11.4:1CR (anticipate 475+RWHP) Moser M9 35-spline Posi Strange center 3.00:1 gears - Best 1/4 Mile: 12.18 @ 113.15 (3360# race weight) when near stock --- No new times yet ---
    BMR tubular front L/U a-arms and k-member. UMI Adj. T/A and adjustable rear LCA's, Spohn PHR and Dragbar. !Air!,!P/S!,!TCC/ABS!.

The SBC do that switch, the new motors already have that done.