Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is Boost enrichment slow to respond?

Tuner in Training
    Having issues with mine. Initially I had an 02 sensor wire broken which put the computer in a not ready mode. I tuned the WOT PE anyways, once I fixed the wire the computer acts normal now and uses the BE table at whatever kpa I specify. Which makes it run rich whenever it comes into activation.

So the question is, if you tune the PE table and get it just right, what is the reason for the BE? Is it incase you didn't have a boost referenced FPR?

BE is so you can set up PE leaner if you wanted to, giving you a typical enrichment for lower engine load. BE would be there to come in under higher loads for extra fueling when and where needed.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    BE is so you can set up PE leaner if you wanted to, giving you a typical enrichment for lower engine load. BE would be there to come in under higher loads for extra fueling when and where needed.
    I am pretty sure I understand what you mean. But, could you give an example of some numbers so I can understand how to use it.

Like tuning for 12.5 I guess and then under boost adding a percentage to bring it into the 11's?

Hmm, but if your boost consistantly hits at a certain rpm how does this help?

say up until 100 kPa (no boost) you wanted to run the AFR mid to high 12's but as boost came on, you wanted to bring that number closer to low 12's or even high 11's depending on how much boost you have. This way you can do that without causing an 11.8:1 AFR at 2000 RPM and no boost, or at 4000 RPM an no boost.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Thats how I have it set up. PE commands a normal ~13:1 and BE starts commanding more and more fuel linearly to ~11.5:1 at ~155 kPa (~8 PSI). So even at 2-3 PSI I'm only commanding in the 12's. It doesn't get really fat until the boost gets bigger.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner in Training
    Got it, thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    Thats how I have it set up. PE commands a normal ~13:1 and BE starts commanding more and more fuel linearly to ~11.5:1 at ~155 kPa (~8 PSI). So even at 2-3 PSI I'm only commanding in the 12's. It doesn't get really fat until the boost gets bigger.

Try and match PE and BE to desired AFR against RPMs with your SC setup. That way, you won't get the initial lean hit that you can still get if commanding 13 in PE at, say, 4800 or more RPMs where you are just cruising and waiting and then you mash the throttle up there. You will get 13 for a brief moment before BE is active, but you will be in healthy boost right away. Maybe it varies by PCM/OS as well. Try it out and see, but be cautious. Set PE to like 11.6 or a few tenths higher than BE, just so you can see commanded change just after boost is present. If you know about it, and are prepared for it, this transition is no big deal.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner
    I reported on this issue a long while back. Nice looking down at 8 psi of boost and still commanding the WRONG AFR.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9803

03 Silverado Z71, 6.0L (LQ4), Magnacharger Radix, 90mm TB, 9psi boost, 60# Mototron FM Injectors, Meth Injection, LPE GT7 Cam, PI Vigilante 2600, FLT Level 5 4l65E, Dynatech, Custom Stainless Dual Exhaust, Detroit True-Trac, 4.10's, Electric Fans, AirAid CAI. HSW Dry Nitrous with 50 shot. 11.73 @ 114 - 2Bar SD - @@@Photos and Video@@@

Advanced Tuner
    i was also having the same problem with my tt car
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10553

i only use PE now as BE was just too unreliable. I hate having to command 11.xx afr at lower rpm and wot loads but its the only way to consistently have the right afr under boost.
    if you want to lean out the off boost WOT areas ignore afr error and lean out the ve table until the wideband reads the afr you want, its not pretty but its the only safe way of doing it
    04 VY Commodore ute M6 ls1, 918 valve springs, TR6 plugs, genttrbb twin turbo kit, 60lb seimiens injectors, Bosh 044 fuel pump, SX fuel reg, PLX wideband,Full Castle Hill Exhaust with 2 1/2in dump pipes, 4in cats into twin 3in cat back (no merge), Ripshift, oz700 clutch and 3.73 diff gears

I know this thread is a few years old now, but I was wondering if the BE table was any better now a days??

I like 5 liter eaters idea, how is that working for you?

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

It rarely commands the PE. Pretty much by the time I'm in PE I'm already in boost so BE takes over.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game