Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Flash Protocol

Re: Flash Protocol

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus
    To update the CAL's you need to use block transfer mode which only opperates in 41.6K speed.
    According to the "BDLC Block User Guide" (Motorola), block mode can be at either speed. So you could use a microcontroller like the 68HC12B that has a BDLC module to do this stuff, even though it can't xmit at the higher speed, and avoid some low-level interfacing details. (BDLC takes care of the VPW physical layer and J1850 protocol handling.)

And a sort of OT question: How do companies like carputing get the interface info to do this? Do they pay GM to license it? Have a good buddy at GM? Hack it?

Thanks for the info oldgeek.

How carputing designed the cable I'm not sure, but it's produced by a third party that has no affiliation with GM <I believe>.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training

BTW, guys.. it looks like the LS1/LS6 PCM uses a
    variant of Motorola processor (family: 683xx) that
    contains the DLC logic internally.

If you are threshing thru code, look for references to
    $FFFFF6xx ;D

60C is the data to be Tx'd

60D/E is the data just Rx'd

The cable is "made" by andrew at http://www.akmcables.com

He knows the schematics and all the stuff needed to get it working...

I believe (rumors) that he just reverse engineered one of GMs cables.

The guy that did do it by himself is named Steve Cole down a ttspowersystems.com and GM Payed him for confidentiality.

He will not help you out, he will not answer a single question... And he knows how to do what.

I cant believe that no one other than carputing has come up with this thing...

Is it ilegal to just use their cable and one develop the software?

the other thing is: Every converter needs a firmware.. what's in that firmware and how do you write such a firmware for a type of cable?

After talking with the SPS People.. you can read the PCM and it will extract the file.. we can edit it elsewhere and the use the ease again to transfer it back..

Tuner in Training

How does one do this with the EASE SPS system?

Has someone written another program for the SPS
    hardware?

Jim

Read it... use the file that it reads from the SPS and edit it with a hex editor..

Tuner in Training

Highlander,

Email me direct if you can.

I thought that the SPS is only for PROGRAMMING
    and doesn't have the (software) capability to read
    out the existing cal... am I wrong about that?

yea.. I'm curious how it reads too..
    Even if it didnt there's easy work-arounds to that too..

Do you know if thats the same CD's that GM uses? I thought those files were encrypted?
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Well... the tech support makes me think it does... either way if they provide the commands from the firmware I dont think is that hard.. besides.. the commands sent must be the same for reading and writing the flash... In either way.. you could use an available cable to read and the SPS to write.. its a hassle but its a lot cheaper than 17k

Tuner in Training

What tool costs 17k??

(See, now you have my curiosity) ;D

If you want to buy from carputing all their obdii cars available in an unlimited form its 17k!!!! OUTRAGEOUS... Even if I get into a business I wont be able to make enough cars to do that in 3 years...

Have faith, I'm sure we as a group will come up with something eventually.

Look how much info has been posted on this forum already.. We have a lot of smart people on here now.. You have to think that guys like carputing and tunercat are getting a LITTLE bit worried.

We come up with a cable and sell it for a little over cost.. vs people that mark up their stuff 500% hmmmmm

a nice cheap cable, a loader that works for all PCM's.. some easy-to-use editing software.. heck.. we'll be making Haltech nervous ;D
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Carputing nervouts? Yes!!

Tunercat nervous??? NO!

Tunercat people are nice people and they are humble and fair...

I wish they get something ready.. THey are very knowledgeable people but they are having the same problems we are: The converter... If I had a design of my own..I would give it away to them FREE! why? because they are not greedy.. Sure they want money, me too. But its a tool and something that is available to some people.. We are not asking to give your tunning secrets away, just make the tune possible, so Halltech would not be worried... Carputing would... and I bet they see this site...

I agree..

Tunercat is GREAT. I remember e-mailing them about 3 years ago with obd-ii questions and we exchanged some information. Very nice people. They are not in it to make HUGE markups on their stuff either.

I'm sure carputing reads this site.

A LOT of people read this site.

Lets not get off topic.. WHere do we stand?? what is the progress on a valid converter?? any direction on where one should go or do to get something ready?

The topic is really flash protocol... more of the communication that must take place to initiate block tranfser mode.

I'll start a new topic regarding cable design.

Great... but the flash protocol is essential on the cable design...

Maybe this pic helps

http://netdial.caribe.net/~highland/converter.jpg

This is from a working converter

And this file might help too.. Check it out.. this is the sequence to writing or reading the PCM flash memmory.