Thread: Ford Flashing

Ford Flashing

Are there any plans on speeding up the flashing on the Fords?

Thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Not possible, Fords cannot take a write calibration only. The current write times are as good as it gets.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

How do the SCT programmers flash? They can do it faster

just a guess, they do not fix the main checksums so maybe they only write a smaller section of the flash (the checksums and cal are at opposite ends of the flash chip). I haven't looked into it really...
    I count sheep in hex...

when writing a ford with an SCT programmer it took almost as long as the HPTs did.... goes up to 98% pretty quick, the just hangs for like 5mins

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

That only happens on some vehicles such as 2004 F150's, most do not write multiple modules during a normal reflash with the SCT hardware.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    just a guess, they do not fix the main checksums so maybe they only write a smaller section of the flash (the checksums and cal are at opposite ends of the flash chip). I haven't looked into it really...

Correct, same thing being done as the old GM's with the double A for experimental. Sometimes does not, and is why the P0605 is disabled on all cals.

Flashing a 05 or newer Mustang with SCT only takes around a min.

SCT writes the entire bin.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

well we write the entire flash (apart from the boot block) as fast as the PCM will go, we don't purposely slow things down at all. There are 5 different binary sizes for the Oak PCMs we support (448k, 512k, 1024k, 1536k & 2048k) so depending on what you have it will take a different amount of time. Some use on-chip flash some don't as well.

It depends a lot on the vehicle, if the PCM uses both the on chip flash and external flash then generally the on chip part is a lot slower. You can see this on the F-series trucks (and the Aussie BA Falcons) where it is going slow then all of a sudden it starts going a lot faster.
    I count sheep in hex...