Thread: Newbie Q? Got a new computer

Tuner in Training

Newbie Q? Got a new computer

I got a new laptop computer so that I can do some tuning on my car. What kind of cable does HPtuner use (USB, serial, etc.) My computer only has USB, and one of those little card slots (can't think of what they are) will this work?
    09 G8 GT
    05 Silverado
    68 C-10 (05 Avalanche 5.3L)

Advanced Tuner

Re: Newbie Q? Got a new computer

At the moment you need a serial port (or adaptor) for HPT , not all of the ones available are up to the job . Keyspan is one of the recommended ones and if you want to go that way it will pay to check witch one to get before you buy .

HPT will have a usb cable coming out before too long and if you haven’t bought already it may pay to wait for it to come out .

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Quote Originally Posted by Arron
    HPT will have a usb cable coming out before too long and if you haven’t bought already it may pay to wait for it to come out .
    just an fyi & this may not apply to the new units but back when they were upgrading existing users they cut them a break on the new enhanced eio...basically 1/2 price off if you had already bought the origonal. I personally don't know what the new pricing will be like when usb comes out but history has a tendancy to repeat itself...I'd hate to be left out because I decided to wait, but thats me.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

also if you decide you wish to buy HPT before the usb release....you can go to Comp Usa to get the Keyspan Adapter for around $40
    Thry usually have them in stock and on the shelf
    -Scott -