Thread: GM airbag ecu

Potential Tuner

GM airbag ecu

i'm searching a software or a scantool to be able to clear out crash code from

gm airbag control module...

someone could help??

Éric
    [email protected]

Re: GM airbag ecu

"Deployment Detected" DTCs cannot be done with a scan tool
    This is because an data file related to the deployment event has been stored
    WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 01-22-2006 at 01:49 PM.

Crash code is permanently written to the module. If you want to clear the data you will need to replace the module. Depending on the year, the early modules could store up to 4 "Events" later modules 6. I can't imagine a car surviving enough crashes severe enough to blow the bags!
    Mark
    Mark

Advanced Tuner

Is this the same sort of code that appears when you turn the car on with the seats unpluged.
    Ive done this before an i had to take it to holden to reset the error. Is this code stored in the bcm??
    04 VY Commodore ute M6 ls1, 918 valve springs, TR6 plugs, genttrbb twin turbo kit, 60lb seimiens injectors, Bosh 044 fuel pump, SX fuel reg, PLX wideband,Full Castle Hill Exhaust with 2 1/2in dump pipes, 4in cats into twin 3in cat back (no merge), Ripshift, oz700 clutch and 3.73 diff gears

No that's a BCM code. When the airbag module stores event data it's there forever.
    Mark

Potential Tuner

i able to clear crash code from many kind of airbag ecu...even gm!!! so don't tell me it's not possible: i'm doing it 100 time/week!!!! but i would like to do it with having to open the unit ( by the connector)

that's why i'm posting this add... if anyone need to clear crash code in airbag ECU... i'm able to help you with this!!!

Ace

Advanced Tuner

Dose anyone else see this behavior as illiegal or perhaps unethical?

I would want to know if a car I owned or was considering buyins had been wrecked.. and clearing that data would circumvent that..

-Bill
    2000 Camaro V6 Boltons and a tune

Quote Originally Posted by Missing2
    Dose anyone else see this behavior as illiegal or perhaps unethical?

I would want to know if a car I owned or was considering buyins had been wrecked.. and clearing that data would circumvent that..
    I would agree with you, if it was the stock PCM, however if I bought a used PCM to replace the one in my car, then it would be helpful to erase this code.

I could see how there is a fine line to a real purpose, or a purpose to commit fraud.

ace, are you from Quebec?
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Potential Tuner

for the moment, i'm working out of quebec, cause for a political reason and some stupid guys doing refurbs airbag cussions with gun powder...i now on prohibited to do airbag controller resetting in quebec province....even for car authorised dealers... Dont forget ther is many kind of airbag ecu who can be crash cleared by the dealer with scantool...mitsubishi, some ford, some older toyota, bmw, mercedes, some older gm, chrysler is self resetting...Vw can be done with a special tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and it's not a gammick, it works for real....i have resetted the same controller over many crash over the years... the only one reason why mfg is asking to replace is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ it's really more profitable to replace by a new one at 600$ than reflash memory at 100$... moneay is leading every mfg mind!!!!

please take time to check all over...we are many poeple who are doing this across the world!!!!!
    i'm just searching for someone out of my area with who i can collaborate and deal or aquire differant technique than mine...

Potential Tuner

reprogramming airbag controller is really a economical solutions when you fix car after crash with airbag deployment....

for exemple a cavalier 2000 with a small impact the 2 front airbag deploy!!!

to fix that car, you probably only need a hood, a front bumper, a headlight, 2 front airbag, a dashpad and a controller...

you buy used part from any scrap yard, but the airbag controller isn't same as your cause not same year...most airbag fit over many model/years...but controller don't

so i'm the solution...even if you fix with brand new parts...for exemple a mazda miata... airbag controller is around 1000$...so you will save 900$ to come to me...

and it works!!!

You dont know what you are talking about, are seriously mis-informed and would strongly urge you to cease and desist your efforts regarding this matter.

The reason GM (and other OEMs) designed the airbag ECUs so that the "Deployed" DTCs cannot be cleared is a very complex issue, and generally driven by the premise of occupant safety and maintaining the chain of evidence- not by profits!!!
    (Are you by any chance involved with that POS Quebec company that is killing people with their "remanufactured" airbags??)

1. There is no way in the field for a techncian to know what sort of g levels the SDM was exposed to, and impossible to be able to be 100% certain that the SDM's accelerometer's accuracy will remain within acceptable tolerances. Futhermore the capacitive discharge hardware used to deploy the airbags can be damaged by current loading, making it difficult to know FOR CERTAIN that it will be able to properly depoly the airbags in subsequent frontal collisions.

In this case the SAFEST thing to do is replace the SDM!

2. The event file stored in the CPU was intentionally made unclearable, to allow it to become (when neccessary) scientifically reliable evidence that can be extracted and used as empirical data when reconstructing the collision/accident. With only a few exceptions (eg SDM-CL2) the entire available range of internal EPROM memory must be utilized to store this very important vehicle data gathered prior to and during the deployment event. So even if you COULD clear the DTC and extinguish the airbag MIL- the module would no longer have sufficient storage to record another event.
    So for these reasons the SDM must be replaced.

Anyone attempting to circumvent these protocols is both unconcerned with occupant safety and more interested in tampering with evidence, than saving a few hundred dollars.

JMO
    WopOnTour
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 01-22-2006 at 01:59 PM.

I'm closing this one down for obvious reasons.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...