Thread: Had it with a teen driver

Tuner

Had it with a teen driver

Ok my 16 had his license for 1 month before a speeding ticket, and we just can't afford this, time off from work because he needs a parent to go to court etc. So I plan to set his fuel cut off for 35mph, meaning he can speed 5 over on the 30's and drive the limit on the other roads to and from school till we get done with court etc and we decide he's been punished enough.

Any reason why this would not be good?
    2004 Chevy 1500 CC 5.3L 2000 Pontiac GA 3.4L 1995 Pontiac TA LT1 1997 Camaro 3.8L

Tuner

Re: Had it with a teen driver

i would do a speed limiter not a spark limiter that way he cant ruin the motor from tapping the rev limiter?? Just have the speed limit the same as the shutoff speed and it should just hover there smooth.
    fast as fast can be..... When i hit the nos, youll be sayin... WAIT4ME!!!!!

Tuner

Very crafty. Honestly, with my step son's intelligence, I really fear him driving anything but a go cart and definitely not my pride and joy. I will definitely have some sort of black box when he does get his license in a few years. Right now I have him convinced I am monitoring his TV use with a blackbox. No grades, no TV, and no driving. ;D
    2008 Machine Silver Corvette Vert MN6

Tuner

My son was given an option, speed limited to 35 or No driving, his choice,
    untill his court date and or fines are taken care of. I am nipping this problem
    in the bud right now.
    2004 Chevy 1500 CC 5.3L 2000 Pontiac GA 3.4L 1995 Pontiac TA LT1 1997 Camaro 3.8L

boy.. maybe we should do that to every beginning driver - and my competitors too. I might win some races this year then.. ;D
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Tuner

Tested it, was funny, hit 35 and it slowed and coasted. Then comes back on
    at 34.

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by rckrzy1
    Tested it, was funny, hit 35 and it slowed and coasted. Then comes back on
    at 34.

thats awesome!
    2k Silverado 5.3 -- radix supercharged, TOG long-tubed, Yank TT3000, Billet Servos, eaton posi\'d, 4.10\'d, nelson tuned, 160 degreed, tranny cooled, magnaflowed, hotchkis\'d 2/4, and 20\'d.

Tuner in Training

a friend in the local car club just got a new WS6.... we just did the same thing to him.... ;D

"guys, you wont believe this, but my car wont go over 50!"
    1991 Camaro Convertible with 02 LS1

Hmm interesting technological answer to a problem.........BUTT..........Maybe the wrong method......limiting someone to 35 mph can be dangerous in itself.

As most good drivers realize, brakes are not the only controls (tools) in a car that can prevent accidents and permit one to drive safely. Steering, accelerator, rear view mirrors, turn signals, horn, lights etc. are all part of the tools. You have effectively taken away one important tool. I can think of many scenarios that a Speed Limiter of 35 would be very dangerous indeed.

In my humble opinion, other methods need to be explored.

Good Luck and have fun

Tuner

My approach would have been no driving at all for 3 months, and the kid pays for the ticket and insurance increase.

Whatever works!
    2007 VR z06...stock right now

Tuner

Not when he's only going back and fourth to school on streets with as limit
    of 30 and 35.
    Quote Originally Posted by A2000SSinJersey
    Hmm interesting technological answer to a problem.........BUTT..........Maybe the wrong method......limiting someone to 35 mph can be dangerous in itself.

As most good drivers realize, brakes are not the only controls (tools) in a car that can prevent accidents and permit one to drive safely. Steering, accelerator, rear view mirrors, turn signals, horn, lights etc. are all part of the tools. You have effectively taken away one important tool. I can think of many scenarios that a Speed Limiter of 35 would be very dangerous indeed.

In my humble opinion, other methods need to be explored.

Good Luck and have fun

Tuner in Training

Make him ride the big yellow twinkie!!!!

Tuner in Training

I got stopped my second week with a DL and still had the blue copy! ;D Same situation on my way to a friends after school but the cop just laughed when he saw my blue copy and then chewed me out! I think a 35 mph rev limit would have caused me to burn the back tires a little more! I am not sure the best way to handle it though! I guess it could be kind of a funny story to tell at the lunch table! Just remember you were his age once and those were the days! Kids can be hard headed "I know I was" BUT, I think the belt several times and a alot of talking has made me turn out ok! I do know now that my once stupid parents are not stupid after all.

Good luck with it!!!!!!!!!

Tuner

UPDATE.

Ticket #2 63 in a 35. Set back to 40mph and rev limit 4K.

Tuner in Training

Hey just thank God its not a V8!!!!!!!

Wonder where he gets it? :-X

Potential Tuner

God I love this thread

Depending on the model and electronic throttle option, lower the values on the ETC vs RPM vs Available torqe table.

That will effectively turn 8 cylinder power into 4 cylinder power.
    The VCM will start to close the throttle when that torque limit is reached

WPOD

http://www.thetubes.com/lyrics/wpod.htm

Tuner in Training

I got several laughs out of this topic tonight. I talked to my dad about it and he said something that made perfect sense. If he speeds and you just fix it where he can't speed instead of taking the car away then the only thing you are giving back to him is the ability to speed again!

Just a thought! But my dad said it, you didn't here it from me!

Would never want to cause someone to lose there ride!!!!!!!!!!!!! >

Tuner in Training

I took my limiter of 140mph off. Now I'm thinking of putting it back on to 70mph.

Had a lucky escape last week, doing 95mph in a 40mph zone, just about to whips the ass end out around a corner after heavy breaking only to see a cop car sitting there. I quickly reduced to the 30zone I was entering. They pulled me over saying did I know why they pulled me over. I said, no, dont have a clue. She was a nice looking chick too. Went on talking about buying the car on Ebay etc..... must hve been sititng there for 10mins chatting. Think she has a hots for guys in fast cars. Kind of hoping to see her again, but not in her cop car as I'm sure to get more than warning next time. :

too funny.. I hope you are making him pay the extra insurance premiums....
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Advanced Tuner

I got a bunch of tickets when I started driving I had a la liscense and a tx liscense which was the only thing keeping from getting revocked, in fact I lost my la liscense. My parents made me pay my gas and insurance from the begining, once I saw the premiums go up, and had it explained that if The insurance co said anything (my sister worked there) I would be taken off their policy. I knew everything though and they were stupid I'd show them, I'll get my own damn policy. Yea try getting your own policy being 16 with 3 tickets on your record. Paying my own insurance slowed me down