Thread: 3.4 V6 to LS1 conversion (and tuning)

Potential Tuner

3.4 V6 to LS1 conversion (and tuning)

so I've spent the last year building up a 395 LS1 and getting all the parts required to make the change over. Now I need to know what to do so I can purchase the right HP Tuners package.

I have a 99 PCM and harness. I have been told that I should not use the EGR system. In California, that would mean that I would have to move up to a 2001 or 2002 PCM. I know that I can have my PCM reflashed with a 2001/2 model year's bin. I also heard that I can just turn off the EGR system via HP Tuners in the 99 PCM. I would be inclined to do that and put in a 2001/2 VIN in the PCM and say that the engine was from a 2001/2 model.

My question is does the VIN that is burned into the PCM affect the licensing of HP Tuners?I know it isnt VIN specific, but does it use the engine digit in the Vin to associate the model year to the software, or is there something in the PCM itself that does this?

I will have the initial tune done by a shop, but would like my own HP Tuners to learn/tweak and mess with. I cant put in my cars VIN since its a 1994 3.4 V6, or can I?

David

Advanced Tuner

Re: 3.4 V6 to LS1 conversion (and tuning)

The PCM knows the VIN, which means that it knows what year the engine is. If I were you, I'd have your PCM upgraded to '01 or '02 and buy HPTuners for that specific year. Yes, you can turn off the EGR on the older computers (that's what I did) but I think that when you go to the smog station, it's going to say that you have a 1999 engine.

In Michigan, we don't have any testing, so I don't have to worry about it on my specific car.

-Matt
    1970 Corvette LS1/T56
    2001 Corvette Z06

Potential Tuner

Thanks for the reply. Would a shop (or myself) with HPTuners be able to do this for me, or is this something that has to be done at a dealer ship?

So basically if I get a Vin & Bin for a 2001/2 Fbody with six speed, that can be written to the PCM after reflashing for that given model year, correct?

Thanks again for the reply,

David

Tuner in Training

To re-flash to a different year, you need a TechII or equivalent. HPT doesn’t do this. You can only re-flash from the licensed year to the licensed year. So 'upgrading' an outdated licensed year specific PCM is all you can accomplish on an HPT re-flash.

I have done a few LS1 hybrids. Yes, you can flash your ‘99 to a later year. The only one I had a problem with was a ‘98. Your PCM VIN will be that of the Year you pick. So if you reflash to a 2002, you’ll have a 2002 VIN. For emissions, they will read a 2002 VIN. You ‘may’ be able to convince HPT to put a hook in your proggy to allow you to change your VIN back to a specific VIN to match the car, but currently it doesn’t work that way. Chances are – you’re a hybrid anyway so you’ll have to go on the rollers, they won’t OBD2 scan you. If your state requires inspection (ie reconstructed title) just keep your receipts to show why VIN #s don’t match, you’ll have to do this for the engine anyway to prove the car doesn’t have stolen parts. As for where to have your PCM flashed – look for a local shop or contact fastfieros.com out a Tx. He’s on this board and can re-flash your PCM for a lot less than a dealership. Otherwise PM me and I can give you a guy to contact here in AZ that will reflash your PCM for under $100. Locally he charges around $65 but I don’t know what he’ll charge for shipping and insurance.

Personally I like the later year flash (01 up) because you only have one VE table to deal with. Difference between the years is null. Yes you can use the existing 99 flash and edit it to meet your engine requirements. It’s up to you on what you want for later support.

This is all if you're going to do your own work. If you're having a speed shop do this, you need to talk to them.
    2001 TransAm WS6 Mods? What mods?

Potential Tuner

Thanks, that's the answer that I was hoping for

I'm still waiting for my heads to come in, so I trying to plan ahead and get all my ducks in a row.

Thanks again,

David

Tuner

David,

I just looked at your all your April posts, after I sent you a reply. I should be able to help you out a bunch, depending on what you want done.

As far as getting the car dialed in, I should be able to put a G-- grin on your face. ;D

Bill
    Warp 10 Always