Thread: Shorter OBDII to serial cable

Shorter OBDII to serial cable

I'd like to have a shorter cable than the cable provided with my HPT system. 18 to 24" would be ideal. This is because it is permanently installed in my car and the excess cable length is a problem under the dash in my small car.

Several questions:
    1. Is this available somewhere?
    2. If so where?
    3. If I shorten the existing cable by cutting it and reinstalling a new serial connector, will I screw up my credits?

I've seen somewhere that the credit info is stored in the cable. This seems counter intuitive to me. Seems like the credits would be stored in RAM in the MPVI box.

Thanks in advance.

By saying "stored in cable" they mean the mpvi box between the 2 cables. Other than risking ruining the cable, you hpt obviously won't warranty the obdii cable. I doubt they would give you any grief about the other parts, unless you miswired the cable and broke it.

Quote Originally Posted by midgetracr View Post
    I'd like to have a shorter cable than the cable provided with my HPT system. 18 to 24" would be ideal. This is because it is permanently installed in my car and the excess cable length is a problem under the dash in my small car.

Several questions:
    1. Is this available somewhere?
    2. If so where?
    3. If I shorten the existing cable by cutting it and reinstalling a new serial connector, will I screw up my credits?

I've seen somewhere that the credit info is stored in the cable. This seems counter intuitive to me. Seems like the credits would be stored in RAM in the MPVI box.

Thanks in advance.
    -Ryan

2002 ECSB
    Radix 3.0"
    220/226 548/575 114LSA
    TOG Headers

Senior Tuner
    The cable is made to HPT specs and not available anywhere else. Is there a reason the cable cannot be coiled up and tucked away under the dash? I know they are tight under there, but I didnt think they were that cramped for space

You may have to pull down a "beauty panel" under the dash and find room, then reinstall it after you hide the cable.

-Ken

Thanks guys. Check out my Avatar. Space is extemely limited. There should be no reason, as long as I don't mess up the pin connections that I cannot shorten the cable. Correct?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken@HPTuners View Post
    The cable is made to HPT specs and not available anywhere else. Is there a reason the cable cannot be coiled up and tucked away under the dash? I know they are tight under there, but I didnt think they were that cramped for space

You may have to pull down a "beauty panel" under the dash and find room, then reinstall it after you hide the cable.

-Ken
    Well Ken, it appears you are not keeping your advanced technology locked down well enough.

I used AVT cables on mine a year ago. They were availible in 2 lengths back then.

http://www.avt-hq.com/price.htm#Accessories