Thread: New 408 Harrop Supercharged

New 408 Harrop Supercharged

Hi guys, Luke and Al, Happy new year everyone. I havent done much in the way of tuning as my tune is good. In a few of my last posts you might remember that I was touching up a tune on a mates 10 pound harrop supercharged gen 3.

Well we had a sweltering conditions for GAZZANATS here in adelaide and afer a solid 2 and a half minutes of tyre turning fury she lost a piece of nuber 7 piston, so she was fucked.

Now after 2 months the motor is fresh 408 iron block, afr heads, new cam and 17 grand later is rteady to go.

He had it run in on the dyno, because it has forged pistons and is sitll making the same power as before 325 at the wheels on a conservative tune.

It is being retuned this friday by the other party, I just wanted to get an idea of what you boys think as, to be honest i thought that the tune was rough even for a base, so it will be interesting to here some other opinions.

I will attatch the tune that the third party ANDREW di and mine with how it sits now.

If you read this luke this is the same car and tuner that originally tuned the car, and was commanding to much timing through the mid range.

thanks guys ben
    350VUSSSS inductions 88millTB, 25% underdrive pully, high lift roller rockers, Maffless cold air intake, 2 1/2 inch try y headers 3 inch exhaust, upgraded plugs and leads.

Hi guys, I didnt bother adding to the list before that the car has a 10 pound pully and large front intercooler. But for what ever reason the car could only manage 4pound on its last run. I think I might have an idea and I dont like the sound of it, The cam is of 112 degrees of lobe seperation, heard that you need a 114 minimum. I think the boost is going out through the exhaust.

Thanks guys, but im really just guessing at the moment, as I expected to see power figures of around 350rwkw on this conservative tune.

cheers ben
    350VUSSSS inductions 88millTB, 25% underdrive pully, high lift roller rockers, Maffless cold air intake, 2 1/2 inch try y headers 3 inch exhaust, upgraded plugs and leads.

you don't lose 6psi thru the exhaust. My guess is you have a belt issue. I ran a magnuson sc with a 242 @ 108 cam once making 6psi no probs.
    I count sheep in hex...

5psi 408, no power, senior tuner needed.

Hi guys, thanks chris. Well as i said car went back on the rollers yesterday, and what a dissapointment the car was fed more timing to no avail and the power figure was unchanged. His tuner left in the soft tune as the timing was not affecting the power.

The boost was a flat five pound, the supercharger is only the first harrop 112, which i know is small but like i said big cooler and 10 psi pully.

Would love one of you more inclined with supercharger tuning to go over the tune. I have never done a cammed car or set up a tune for a supercharger. I think the tuner is a hack and the tune reflects that in my eyes. As I have picked his tunes apart a couple of times before.

Like should you change the engine size and cylinder volume when you increase from the 350 to a stroked 408, with big heads?

I just want him to enjoy his money, as i know he blew the engine but he may as well just put a standard gen 3 back in, as the 408 makes the same power, but dramatically less torque as well.

Thanks guys ben.

you could try giving someone a call who installs a lot of harrop blowers. Mario at Autotechnique in Melbourne has installed more than a couple

I have a new 2300 going on my iron block 408 soon
    I count sheep in hex...

112 harrop on 408 warhawk, needs senior tuner

Hi chris, I already have done that leg work and have spoken to ross and darrel at harrop, they said cam is wrong it needs to be atleast of 114 seperation. But feel it still might only deliver anothe 1 or 2 psi, how much power do you think that will give; " not 50 or 100 rwk i bet, for about $1500.

He is also weighing up the 2300, very impresive.

I just thought someone; because i know you american boys have done lots of testing compared to aussies would have had a similar problem.

Like i said happy to chat, would love to here from someone who has had a similar problem.

Thanks guys, ben.

Tuner
    Dose the car have a stall convertor?

stage 3 auto harrop 408

Hey mate, glad to here from you. Yes the car has a 3000 stall and 373 diff gears. Its funny you ask about the box, as I told his tuner not to touch his box as he has had 3 boxs die after he has im sure used other peoples shift patterns, which he inevitabaly killed the box again in less than half an hour.

I rectified his tune again and bought it back in line with his previous tune that i had done, another box rebuilt and shes now shifts exactly the way it was before.

I ony alligned shift speeds and transpreasure but he also changed something in abus, so it now doesnt hit abuse untill greater than 8000 instead of the 6600 it was previously. not sure what his method was here.

well the guys at Harrop would know, could be a combo of good heads, decent cam, bigger cubes and the old 112 just can't keep up...
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner
    Torque Converter Duty Cycle needs some attention. Bigger huffer would help.